Wainscoting and Caulking

PinesEverywhereMay 15, 2013

I am posting this in the Woodworking, Paint and Remodeling forums. The picture below is a close-up of Wainscoting that I am attempting to âÂÂclean-upâ and âÂÂpaintâÂÂ. The section shown has been primed. Someone suggested that I caulk the gaps.

But I recently read on a âÂÂCaulkingâ site that you should NOT caulk Wainscoting panels as they will shift almost up to 1/8â depending on climate, settling, etc. This shifting (or poor initial craftsmanship) has left inconsistent gaps that are really unsightly under my bright painting lights. I donâÂÂt know if the panels have shifted ALL that they will shift (30 yo home) â¦. Or â¦. If they shift seasonally based on temp and humidity.

Anyway, should I:

#1 - Not worry about the gaps because IâÂÂm the only one noticing them under bright lights and/or because continuous shifting will occur with these panels
#2 - Caulk ALL of the outer gaps regardless of how WIDE and how DEEP they are
#3 - Caulk just the gaps that are really DEEP and that show a crevice where no primer/paint can adhere

I was prepared to do #3 but my concern is that the caulking will âÂÂshore-up the DEPTH of the gapâ considerably leaving the other gaps with the intended depth and shadow. My thinking is â¦. I should caulk ALL of the outer gaps to make the depth/shadow very shallow and consistent ⦠or ⦠just leave them alone as designed or as shifted.

More facts:
- The WORST gaps are 1/8â Wide and almost 1/2â Deep showing a crack/shadow that wonâÂÂt fill with primer
- Some gaps are 1/8â Wide with a 1/4" Depth and are spottily holding the primer/paint in the groove
- About half of the gaps are PERFECT at a 1/16â width and 1/16â depth which hold the primer/paint in the groove splendidly.

What a mess. I hope this makes sense. Did I mention I hate caulking? LOL.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sloyder

Looking at the picture it looks like the moulding was not cut correctly, as it does not line up. There will always be a thin shadow line you can caulk. You could use plastic moulding that will not expand and contract as much.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 11:45PM
PinesEverywhere

SLoyd wrote:
"Looking at the picture it looks like the moulding was not cut correctly, as it does not line up."

And this is a fairly good moulding intersection! The others are worse. Are you suggesting caulking the 45 Degree intersection itself or ... the interior where the moulding lays on-top of the inner panel or ... both?

Thanks for any further help.

I was mostly concerned about caulking that deep "outer groove" but I think I will just lather more primer in there. Your advice on the intersection and inner panel will help too -- that was my next set of questions anyway.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 8:13AM
CabinetHardwareEtc

Just noticed your question, so the project is probably already done. But anyway...

By all means caulk this joint. I doubt you'll have any issues with it going forward.

The horror stories you're referring to is when one caulks 3 1/2" bead board at the joint. Looks great in summer, but it's a regular horror show in winter!

Whenever interior bead board is called for, MDF is the material of choice. Goes up fast, no joints and paints like a dream.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™