replacing exterior window sills

wildturkey450May 3, 2009

I would like to replace an exterior custom made window sill which has too much rot to repair. I have visited numerous web sites for instruction how to do this but for a novice like myself, they are confusing. Some go so far to state that the interior sill and trim must also be removed which seems unnecessary to me, particularly since the face of the interior trim is flush with the plaster (the way they did it in the colonial days)and would cause untold destruction to the plaster. Does anyone have any good reference(s) to help me replace a window sill? Pictures would be most helpful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

Pictures of your window would be helpful, too. The sill is the bottom of the rectangular frame of the window. It's a single piece of wood that goes pretty much all the way through the wall. It is integral to the window, not a piece you can easily pry off and replace. You may be able to cut away and replace just part of the sill, depending on how extensive the rot is, but it's tough to say whether this is feasible without seeing the problem. Replacing the whole sill is not a novice-level project.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
southern yellow pine ceilings - how to tone down yellow
Hi, all. We are currently building: natural cherry...
hjs
Kitchen Island panel made from veneer??
So we just had custom cabinets made for our kitchen...
kluken
newbie veneer terminology question
My house has hollow slab doors veneered with luaun...
Fori is not pleased
paint or restain moldings
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Will these trees make good lumber?
I've got 2 fallen catalpa trees that have remained...
mshepherd2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™