Half-dead service

pharkusMarch 31, 2010

What's everyone's first thought when I state that one hot conductor of an underground service (to a mobile home) has simply ceased to conduct electricity?

What's the permanent fix? This individual is not interested in buying all new wire to go from the pole to his house. And by "is not interested", I mean, it simply won't happen. There's no way I can scare him into it. Is there some approved method for splicing the wire back together once we find the break?

There is most definitely 240 at the load terminals of the outside disconnect - and one of the hots is most definitely dead on the panel end inside.

As a temporary fix (overnight only, and because all of his lights except one are on the 'dead' side), I have disconnected and isolated the broken wire on both ends (unhooked, wrapped in tape, folded back, and taped again) and installed a 30A DP breaker with its load terminals connected together to feed the dead side from the live side. Of course he has no hot water...

Going back tomorrow - plan is to kill the power at the outside disconnect and dig up the cable, wherever it might go, hoping to find the break. I don't have any of those fancy non-contact wire-following break-finding gizmos, but I do have a shovel and it's only about 10 feet...

Any input? advice? I'm most concerned about what to do as a long-term fix. I'm quite capable of running a whole new cable but I doubt I can convince him to buy it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spencer_electrician

10 feet of cable will be a lot cheaper than a proper direct burial splice kit and time to splice a section of wire between the breaks. If it is really 10 feet and you have to dig to find the break, the cable would be under $50.

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 11:32PM
tim45z10

This happens all the time to aluminum wire.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 12:54AM
wayne440

If the wire is direct burial AL, your customer (interested or not) will eventually replace the wire. It can be now, or later after 4 or 5 splices/repairs, but the "long term fix" IS replacement.

Don't worry about convincing him to replace it, simply state that if YOU make the repair, that the wire will be replaced. If he still "is not interested", take your 30A breaker and leave.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 6:53AM
bus_driver

Dig it, man.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 8:43AM
jemdandy

If he's unwilling to buy 10 ft of service entrance cable, pack you gear and go away, and let someone else deal with him. By the time you locate the break and splice, your labor will be more than 10 ft of cable.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 5:02AM
hendricus

but I do have a shovel and it's only about 10 feet...

Plus 5'going down and 5' going up and enough in the box to make connections. All of a sudden it's 25' of cable.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 7:33AM
pharkus

As hendricus indicates, the length of the cable is longer than the distance between the pole and the building.

In any case, as you might be able to tell from the fact that I posted pictures of the break... we found it.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 3:34PM
hendricus

Ummm... where would we find the pictures?

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 7:59PM
pharkus

Right here - or you could click the thumbnail five posts before this, with the caption "Well THERE'S yer problem!"

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 11:41AM
More Discussions
Need to Understand GFCI Requirements.
I posted this in the remodeling section, but I think...
homechef59
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
Outdoor subpanel as AC disconnect
Can we use an outdoor subpanel as an AC disconnect?...
ylmzm
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
maggiepatty
Can you make a splice inside one of these?
The reason I ask is my neighbor's house was destroyed...
schreibdave
Sponsored Products
Quantum Stainless Steel 22-Light Golden Shadow Swarovski Elements Pendant Light,
Bellacor
Crystorama 9842-CH-CG Harper Wall Sconce - 11.5W in. - Polished Chrome Multicolo
$250.00 | Hayneedle
Creative Accents Door Mats Acanthus Border 22 in. x 36 in. Rubber Coir Half
$65.97 | Home Depot
Progress Lighting Brushed Nickel 12 ft. Track Section P9106-09
Home Depot
Elk Lighting 8.25H in. Trophy Keep Sake Box - 93-10041
$74.00 | Hayneedle
Pewter Gray 108 x 50-Inch Curtain Single Panel
$115.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™