Dead circuit

jblakeMarch 20, 2010

While trimming hedges using an electrical trimmer, I cut the wire that runs the trimmer. The trimmer was running off an outlet on an outside wall of the house. Now this outlet, plus one on another wall of the house, together with the outlet inside the garage, are all dead. I looked at the electrical panel, there is no breaker that was on "Off" position. I do not know which breaker was responsible for that circuit. The panel was clearly marked with stickers like "AC", "living room", but I do not see any sticker for "outside circuit". The only one that seems suspicious is "GCFI". But this is also on "On" position, I tried switch that off then on, still get no electricity from the outside/garage outlets. How do I trouble shoot? DO I need to replace the "GCFI" breaker? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stash-hdy

Those outlets are most likely on another GFCI located in the garage or House. Check any GFCI outlets located in the baths or the Garage to see if they are tripped.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 11:45PM
joed

GFCI is tripped. Look in bathrooms, garage, other outside receptacles, basement.

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 11:40AM
jblake

You are both right! An outlet in the garage has GFCI and after pressing the reset button I got power back for the outside outlets! Who would have thought it would work this way (like serial instead of parallel). Thanks!

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 8:07AM
mike_kaiser_gw

They aren't hooked up in "series" but rather one [more expensive] GFCI feeds several [less expensive] receptacles downstream. It's a pretty common way of doing things.

When GFCIs were first introduced and really expensive it wasn't uncommon to find one, say, in the garage, also feeding the bathrooms inside the house. A little inconvenient if you happen to trip one while drying of your hair. :-)

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™