Anyone use Geoshield clear window film (IR-70) for UV protection?

texasgal47August 25, 2012

I live in Houston in a 1500 sp.ft. patio home. My family room windows have a problem with direct sunlight in the winter months from morning until noon. The primary problem is UV protection of the furnishings. However, I want clear glass for the remainder of the time as that room needs as much light as possible. The windows are single pane and don't want window replacement for now. Today I called a company that installs Geoshield CLEAR window film (IR-70). Their quote was $10 sq.ft. for a total of about $1000 for my 2 windows and patio door. Solar shades are also an option but don't relish the idea of raising and lowering those babies on a daily basis, esp. on the patio door. Has anyone used this product or one similar to it? How does it look on the exterior, and does it look really clear from the inside? Does it darken the room much when the sun is not direct? The samples will help but would appreciate feedback. Also, I could move up from 2 ml. to 4 ml. and get some hurricane and security protection. Any thoughts regarding this aspect?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

Seems a bit high to me for an applied film but truth be told, I have no idea what people charge for this stuff.

3M makes a bunch of nice stuff so I would check out their offering first and then go from there.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 12:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texasgal47

Thanks for the follow-up. Those figures seemed somewhat high to me too. The consultant said clear film is more expensive than tinted. You're right, for that price I need to do further research.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
Pros please help differentiate between two window manufacturers...
Hello, we are the midst of a new construction build...
rebph
Scherer Bros Windows Rotting
We have just learned our bottom window sashes are badly...
talkingtony
Remove window film immediately?
My contractor has been installing my new Anderson Woodwright...
keys
Marvin Ultimate Clad Double Hung SDL - With or Without Spacer Bar
I am looking to buy the Double Hung, Marvin Ultimate...
cdrigans
Sponsored Products
Polished Chrome Six-Light Crystal Chandelier
$518.00 | Bellacor
Crystorama Delancey 10 1/2" High Bronze Sconce
Lamps Plus
Designers Fountain 6453 Astoria 3 Light Bath Bar in Chrome Finish - 6453-CH
$104.50 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: LA Rugs Fun Time Hearts Turquoise 19
$11.97 | Home Depot
Willow Iron Leg Coffee Table
Overstock.com