Old Motion Light Override?

grandmumMarch 21, 2012

I have a lantern type motion sensing light on an exterior wall that Icant figure out how to override it so it stays on or rather switches on an off like a standard light. With the light switch on it senses motion only. The "manual override" switch is set to on. Thats the only way i can get it to turn off an on with motion. If I swtich the override switch to off it does switch on and off at all.

Its about 25 years old, I wished I could provide a model/brand but its old and I have no idea. Was there a standard trick to get these to turn and off like a normal light or am I doomed to replace it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Every motion light starts with a conventional light fixture and adds the motion and light sensor. A competent electrician can safely disconnect the controls and the result will be just a regular fixture.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 7:38AM
grandmum

Busdriver mentions added controls for the sensor.... when it comes down to it though, (ideally) there should only be 3 wires controling the fixture (hot,neutral,ground)and not an extra hot etc for the sensing controls. Just saying in case I just want to swap out the old fixture.

Still want to say there a standard trick to use it manually besides bypassing the controls. Like quickly turning the switch on and off in the right configuration.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 8:44AM
ionized_gw

Some of the newer, more sophisticated controls might have a means of override similar. If you can get some sort of number off of the control or fixture and do a search you might hit the jackpot.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 5:28AM
More Discussions
Electrical Problem.
My mom's house has a problem with the lights temporarily...
Debra Johnson
Disposer Power Cord
I recently bought a GE disposal online. The model is...
africanboy
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
2 Lights Out on 4 Light Fixture
I was sitting at my dining room table, heard a tiny...
Cassandra
Need to Understand GFCI Requirements.
I posted this in the remodeling section, but I think...
homechef59
Sponsored Products
R Series Satin Red 17-Inch Warehouse Cord Hung Outdoor Pendant
$79.90 | Bellacor
Outdoor Lighting. 2 Light 14.00 in. Outdoor Medici Bronze Clear Glass Wall Mount
Home Depot
Fabbian | Flow Floor Lamp
YLighting
American Drew Jessica McClintock Couture 7 pc. Dining Table Set with Splat Back
Hayneedle
Crystal Fountain Wall Sconce
Lightology
Franklin Iron Works 30 3/4" Wide Swirl Chandelier
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™