oval windows

benandsamAugust 16, 2012

We are adding a new family room and plan to use two oval windows, 24" x 36", with spiderweb or colonial grilles. We are using Marvin windows and we were quoted $10,000 for the two windows. That is much more than we can afford to pay. Any ideas where we can get a more affordable specialty window. We may be willing to change to a quarter round or even a round window. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

Which Marvin window series?

In the ovals they typically only do those in the wood series.

Once you get into the shape windows, the window prices are relatively consistent based on the total square footage with a slight premium for the Ovals and other odd shapes.

That being said, that sounds like a huge price tag for two windows.

I have seen windows that were $5,000+ per unit but they were very exotic.

Have you considered a different material? Goodness knows that if you are just getting a white interior, your options are much larger and much cheaper.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 7:28AM
millworkman

Check these guys out, it would be a little smaller than the size you mention but I think it would be doable and they are probably $1000 a piece at the most!

Here is a link that might be useful: Webb Windows - CW Ohio

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 10:57AM
eastbay10

If you have the Marvin quote, see if a Direct Glaze (DG) or an In Sash window was quoted. The DG is much less expensive (still not cheap). Also, for those numbers you have probably been quoted SDL (simulated divided lites) so you might consider a removable grille. The SDL depending on the pattern with a number of radii lites can almost match the cost of the window itself. Good luck!

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 2:27PM
WindowShopper50

I agree with eastbay, the SDL pattern is probably costing you quite a bit. Not only the number of lites, but with the spiderweb pattern, that is not a simple pattern. I do think I would shop around. Marvin is a great window, but they are real proud of them (as well they should be). There are good, and reasonably priced alternatives out there.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 6:54AM
More Discussions
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
new construction vs "replacement" windows
I am somewhat confused from reading various company...
mmdoh
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™