Willette Dining room set needs help, should I refinish?

angel9603May 17, 2011

Hello, I posted this on the decorating forum and was directed to the experts on this forum. I have an issue with a piece of furniture from my grandmother's house and figured I would ask the experts on how to try and resolve it. It's the Willette Lancaster County Maple set. My grandmother gave me her dining room table and 4 chairs. The problem is with the tabletop. Whatever she cleaned it with or how it was stored seems to have damaged the finish. I researched this manufacturer and seems they discourage refinishing it but not sure what else to do. I want to preserve it, if possible but it may be too far gone. It has spots all over it, they look like water spots that are not coming off. I haven't tried much other than murphys oil soap, which helped only a little bit. It's very dull looking in some areas but not others so it appears the finish has been worn off. Any suggestions? Thanks so much, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
avadoone

I am always a supporter of "restoration" instead or "refinishing" If you strip a finish and apply a new finish etc it looks like a new table and ruins the wood's natural patina. This is what they mean by discouraging refinishing.

My suggestion would to research furniture restoration techniques to determine what your problem may be. It is probably a wax finish. There are many articles on repairing water damage on wax finishes.

You could also search for "furniture restoration or repair" in your area to consult a professional.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
Brand new dewalt planer, not feeding?
Hopefully it's just me doing something wrong. It's...
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™