How to use tester to confirm outlets off

tinanMarch 8, 2013

I have a voltage tester like this

The instructions that came with it are poorly translated and make no sense to me. Where do I insert the probes to confirm an outlet is shut off? One in the left and one in the right? One in the ground? Is there something I should avoid doing with it so I am not shocked?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
llaatt22

It is essentially a neon bulb with two leads going to it that gets brighter with increasing voltage across it. Always start out by testing a 120v wall outlet live with the small lead kept pressed to a known ground while the big probe makes contact with any metal in each remaining slot in turn. Or just plug a small reading lamp in it and turn it on. Then go turn off the power and the lamp should go out.

A better choice if you have more work to do is buy a cheap digital multimeter and a cheap analogue multimeter. That way you cover all bases and don't get caught in a "But I thought" situation.

This post was edited by laat2 on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 21:42

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 9:34PM
tinan

All I need to do is pull the outlets out from the wall a bit and slide in some pvc box extenders so I can install a tile backsplash, I'm not deliberately going to be touching the wires or doing any wiring - I just don't want to get zapped working near them! There are 4 outlets and 2 light switches.

So I put the small lead into the ground hole and then test each prong of the outlet separately? The lamp test does seem easier and I had thought of doing that, but not sure if I was missing something regarding the safety.

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 11:26PM
Ron Natalie

Check the two slots in combination. If you want to be real secure, check the slots with respect to the ground pin (or some other known ground).

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 8:34AM
woodbutcher_ca

Hi, If you want to turn the power off when you do the work on the boxes. Turn the lights on, plug a radio in turn it up loud go to the breaker box listen to the radio, if you can hear it shut the breakers off untill the radio stops. Go back to the room check the other outlets with the radio. If the lights are on trip the 15 amp breaker on the breaker box.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
Need to Understand GFCI Requirements.
I posted this in the remodeling section, but I think...
homechef59
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
phil2015
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Light/Switch wiring
Here is the scenario. Have a kitchen light that needs...
wgl3333
Sponsored Products
Carnival Lido Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Blue Medallions Rug 6' x 9'
$449.00 | Horchow
Geisha Square Pendant
Lightology
Thermostatic Shower System, Square Ceiling Head, Handset & Jet Sprays
Hudson Reed
Besa Lighting | Elana 26 Wall Sconce
$180.00 | YLighting
Boyston Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Safavieh Wyndham WYD376B 4' x 6' Ivory, Beige Rug
$216.00 | PlushRugs
Eglo Sines 4-Light Brushed Aluminum and Chrome Transitional Track Lighting Fixtu
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™