Beadie Birdies - Stained Glass

chinatreasuresSeptember 3, 2009

I don't see a lot of stained glass here, but thought I would show y'all what I've been up to. Been getting ready for a few fall shows and was trying to come up with cutesy, inexpensive, one-piece-of-glass designs. I made about a dozen of these little "beadie birdies" - what do y'all think? My hubby thinks they need a little eye painted on and he also thinks they look like the Woodstock bird (I don't remember that, but...whatever)!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flagtruck

I think they are really nice and a painted on eye would be okay or you could glue on a black bead. Hope you do well on your sales.

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 8:27PM
texaswild

Oh, how darlin'- I love the beads. I've just perused a site that GYPSY sent me - of a gallery who's owner adds all kinds of things to her work, and I'm totally blown away. Now I want to take up stained glass - like CALAM says - Lord, help me, and like FLAG says - where's the off-switch to my mind. Noooooooo - I can't look anymore - I WON'T think about stained glass lessons. Check out this site, look in "Now Showing" and look at Linda Austin's work.
Wonderful stuff added to stained glass

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 4:26AM
chinatreasures

Thanks flag and slow, I think I will add a little eye on each side.

I checked Linda Austin's work - great stuff! I love how she used the computer parts in her work.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 9:14AM
texasfern

That little bird is awesome.
My 2 cents? No eyes, I prefer the "art deco" kinda thing going on.
Thats a great site Slow, I totally could sit a stare at that beach photo all day.
Linda's work is very impressive.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:07AM
Calamity_J

ALAS! Some stained glass on this forum!!! Good on You!!! Very Cute bird and I too, am thinking stained glass suncatchers for selling at Klinger's Art Tour(I'm a "guest artist"lol!)I too, was thinking birds...hummers/chickadees...and some Christmas ones that I like to do...mini angels and holly/w/berries, snowmen,as a sort of set of window bling for the season! Sooo much on the go!!! Anyhoo, I'd be tempted to do a eye as I like to do eyes using copperfoil stuck on, then a dot of solder on it.But I do like the idea of a bead with the hole in the middle for a pupil? 0

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:29AM
chinatreasures

Thanks texas - maybe I'll just put eyes on half of them ~ I'm so indecisive that way!

I'm also making other "one piece wonders" (squares, hearts, etc.) and have been having a blast adding beads. I've seen many beautiful pieces with beads strung on wire and soldered to the piece and thought it was too hard to do. NOT! It is so much fun!

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 10:07AM
emtnest

I just love that!!!!! Show us what else you are doing with one pieces....I'm new to stain glass and need easy to do projects... thanks for sharing..

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 2:59PM
Calamity_J

Emtnest, I was just looking on Warnercrivillaro free patterns, they have some simple ones there...

Here is a link that might be useful: free patterns

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 8:06PM
emtnest

Thanks Calamity Jane, I just might give what looks to be the easiest one a go...when I get brave...hehhe

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 1:59AM
chinatreasures

Emtnest,how much experience do you have with stained glass? Have you taken a class? Those Warner patterns are great for beginners. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help you out.

I don't have pictures yet, but I've cut out squares and put a little ring at opposite corners and added beads to the bottom and shorter beads to the top for "sun danglers". Very easy and it would give you a lot of practice for edge soldering. I plan to do the same with a moon, triangle, heart and oval shape.

When I get more done, I'll take pics and post.

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 8:54AM
emtnest

China, the dragaonflies are the only things I have made... that's how inexperienced I am...I had a one day lesson. Yes, I need easy....lol

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™