14/2 wire

bride2bMarch 29, 2010

I am changing some two wire non grounded wiring for some up to date wiring. I have to wire for a television, fridge, washer, over the range microwave, and a computer. I think that this 14/2 wire would work, but am not sure. Any help, would be a help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
electomechanical

There are a lot of question that need to be answered:

Where do you live?
Are you getting an inspection?
Are the walls opened up or are you fishing these wires into existing walls?
Does the over the range microwave have an exhaust fan built in?
Does the microwave specify a 20A circuit?
You mentioned the fridge and microwave, are you replacing any other receptacles in the kitchen?

These are things that need to be answered before it can be determined what size wire you need.

    Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 8:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ecranny

14/2 will definately not work. The washer needs to be on a dedicated 20amp laundry circuit, and 12awg wire is required for that. I generally use 12 for everything (20A or 15A) but sometimes to save a few cents, or to save a little space, I will use 14 for lighting circuits - but more often when I need 3 or 4 way switches I will use 14/3 cable

    Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 10:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

bride2b-
What is your level of knowledge on doing wiring? You've asked a pretty basic question (which is good), but it causes me concern that you are going to tackle a wiring job that you may not have sufficient knowledge about to complete safely. I'm not trying to be elitist -- we all started from scratch with this subject -- but this is one do-it-yourself area that you don't want to learn about from your mistakes. If you're a newbie in this area, do you have a knowledgeable friend who can help?

    Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 4:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

Just the basics -

14/2 wire is only rated for 15amps, so it should not be used with a 20 amp breaker.

Pretty much every large appliance should be on a 20amp circuit which would require 12/2 wire.

These requirements are for safety, not just to make you jump through hoops. All metal heats up when you pass a current through it. The larger the current, the greater the heat. However, the larger the wire, the less it heats up for a given current. Putting too much current through too small a wire with cause the wire to get very hot. If that wire is enclosed in a wall, there is no place for the heat to go and you can get a dangerous buildup of heat that could cause a fire.

    Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 10:56AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
phil2015
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
36066
Outdoor subpanel as AC disconnect
Can we use an outdoor subpanel as an AC disconnect?...
ylmzm
Badly done multi-wire circuits (previous owner strikes again..)
I bought a 1940-ish house last year, for which the...
quahog
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™