No house wrap .... Window flashing?

mcornerAugust 25, 2009

I live in an "antique" house, 1790. Wood clapboard siding with board sheathing. There is no house wrap, tar paper, etc. etc. Just siding over boards.

I need to replace a couple of casement windows. What is the right way to flash them? Everything I have read (like this great FH article: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021197054.pdf)

assumes the presence of housewrap to flash over. Does typar tape even stick to wood? Or should I just caulk the sides and top? What would the flashing even do on my house?

Also, what is your opinion of premade sill pans like Jamsill? The FH article uses a beveled piece of siding and flashes over that.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

Typar tape will not stick well to wood. A good flexible self sealing membrane tape will stick to wood.

Pre-made sill pans are nice but are typically used in new construction applications. How much of the siding will you be removing?

Bookmark   August 26, 2009 at 10:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mcorner

Thanks, I think that is what I am looking for.

I would like to remove as little siding as possible. Obviously I will remove the outside trim, which should give me most of the room I need for the flashing. Worst, case I may have to sawzall a few nails to get the flashing to be wide enough.

So something like this:
http://www.tarcoroofing.com/pdf/LB_Door_&_Window.pdf
should work well over wood.

I can use a beveled piece of siding instead and not caulk the bottom of the window.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   August 26, 2009 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
Love my New Front Door, But It's Still Cold in Entryway
I have my new steel entry door installed with new sidelites....
sahmmy_gw
Scherer Bros Windows Rotting
We have just learned our bottom window sashes are badly...
talkingtony
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
Full Replacement Questions, Resources?!? Woodwright vs. E-series?
We are in the midst of ordering full-frame replacements...
joeyjoey1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™