Band Saw Review - Central Machinery

fred57May 5, 2008

I have a 14" Central Machinery Bandsaw that I think is a good value. It did vibrate when I first purchased it like all bandsaws do in this price range. Since I didn't want to spend the $1500 or more on a better quality unit, I decided to stabilize this one.

First and foremost is proper assembly of the saw. Everything comes from China these days so take the time to tune the flywheels, tires, blade, drive belts etc. If you slap it all together you will have problems with any saw.

Secondly, the vibration problem comes from having a 180 pound cast iron saw precariously mounted to a ten pound sheet metal stand. I did two things to minimize the vibration. I bolted a 4'x6' piece of ¾ inch plywood to the bottom of the stand this reduced most of the vibration because now I stand on the plywood while cutting!

Next I started taping bolts to the top flywheel in various locations. Much like the tire shop would balance the wheels on your truck. I could tell right away when the weights took it further out of balance. After an hour of tuning, I found the sweet spots and the vibration was almost gone. I did the same thing to the bottom flywheel and now the problem is resolved. I tack welded the bolts in place and now it cuts smooth as silk. Doesn't get any better for a $400 saw.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

I know of about 120 folks who bought that band saw for $169 three years---or four---ago during a sale.

They were much better back then.

Remember, HF stuff is merely a knock off of a real machine---made by a company that does testing and has parts and customer service.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 9:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bandit_tx

Sure it gets better. For $250 you could get an older Delta 14", have a better saw, be able to get parts when you need them, and get all your money back if you want to sell it. And the wheels will run true...

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
protecting black walnut salt and pepper mill
Hi all, Just got a set of gorgeous discontinued William...
frodiggs
newbie veneer terminology question
My house has hollow slab doors veneered with luaun...
Fori is not pleased
Will these trees make good lumber?
I've got 2 fallen catalpa trees that have remained...
mshepherd2
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
Fence construction & what to use for finish
My fence is coming along nicely! Started last fall...
kashka_kat
Sponsored Products
Calypso 20" Wide Crystal and Chrome Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Homecrest Sorrento 67 x 44 Oval Dining Table with Umbrella Hole
LuxeDecor
Kichler Lytham Olde Bronze Satin Glass Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Jonathan Charles Moroccan Medium Walnut Chest
LuxeDecor
Windsor Tumbler
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
New Traditional Turkish Oushak 12' X 18' Hand Knotted Blue Green Wool Rug H3488
BH Sun Inc
Bianca 72" Wall-Mounted Double Bathroom Vanity - Gray Oak Finish with White Carr
Modern Bathroom
Cole & Co. Custom Collection 25" Classic/Estate Package, Bella Crema Top and Bis
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™