Taking 1 leg of 120/240v circuit... up to code/safe?

badmajonMarch 12, 2011

Hi. I have two welders, one is a standard 240v/22 amp MIG, the other is an odd 120v/26 amp stick/arc welder.

Would it be possible for me to install a dryer style 120/240v 30 amp breaker (the ones with a neutral), and pigtail/split one of the 240v leads and the ground? Then I'd have three hot wires, one neutral and two ground. I'd take the two hots and a ground and put them into the standard 240/30a plug, and the third 240, the neutral and the other ground into the 120/30a plug.

Does that sound like a good idea? Would it be up to code?

The other solution is to simply install two breakers. That's not much harder, but I'd like to simplify if possible given that I won't be operating both welders at the same time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

The equipment grounding conductor MUST NOT be used as a circuit conductor. Under certain conditions, that can be fatally dangerous. If you add an appropriate neutral, properly installed, the plan is fine.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 9:29PM
brickeyee

A completely different code section covers welding equipment.

Article 630

Like motor circuits wire size is no longer directly set by breaker size.

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 9:29AM
mike_kaiser_gw

My basic reading of 630 says that under certain circumstances wire can be undersized based on the duty cycle of the welder. In a residential setting it might be better to run full sized wire to future-proof the circuit recognizing that the next owner might own a different tool and never look at the wire size.

If the MIG welder doesn't require a groundED (neutral) conductor, then you don't need to use a 4-wire receptacle but in this case you would need to pull 3 wire (+ ground) cable or 4 wires in conduit for a neutral required for the 120v stick welder.

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™