Installing glass into cabinet doors

mileadayMay 12, 2010

I inherited an oak glass front cabinet which is over 100 years old. I stripped away layer upon layer of finish to reveal a beautiful piece of furniture that holds many family memories. There are 3 glass inserted doors that I'm not quite sure how to finish. Two have curved glass and the 3rd has an 18" square piece. I checked with the local glass co. which did my kitchen glass front cabinets but they want $60 per door to install the original glass which is more than I am able to spend at the present time. What is the best do it yourself method for holding the glass? These doors would be locked and only openend once in a blue moon. I thought silicone but I don't want to mess anything up since I have put so much work into it already. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

You don't mention the original installation method, but can you mimic that?

Otherwise I'd recommend something simple like capturing the panes with quarter-round or another appropriately shaped and sized molding. It should be flexible enough to follow the curves. Or it could be kerfed to help it follow the bends.

I have an old oak cabinet, the center door is arched. The original pieces used to capture the lites don't follow the curves perfectly.

Here's a photo of the inside of the door, you can see how the small ogee trim pieces have pulled away from the curved muntins. There are four ogee pieces per lite, each is held in place with a single brad.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™