Need advice protecting outside wood piece

zoey_neohioMay 5, 2008

Hi,

I am usually at the Kitchen forum, but came over here for some help. I have a hutch type piece of furniture that I would like to put on my covered porch for the summer. My plans are to decorate with flowers, plants and summer items. This piece is pine and is already painted or it could be stained..I am not sure. It will get wet if the wind blows the rain just right so I would like to protect if from warping or separating. Any suggestions?

Other wood pieces are put outside so I would think this was doable. Stopped at Home Depot yesterday but they were no help....very confusing.

Thanks for any help with this. Zoe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

There is no way to totally protect it from warping/splitting/separating if weather can get to the piece. Best you can do is coat every surface---inside and out---with paint. Primered first and then painted.

Then, hope for the best.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 9:52PM
Jon1270

The survival of the piece has more to do with how the piece was designed and built, i.e. the types of glues and joints, and whether the joints can handle the expansion that will come with higher outdoor humidity, than with any coating you can put on it. Some pieces wouldn't fare well outside no matter what you did to them. An occasional splattering with rain won't cause your hutch to implode, but I wouldn't do this with a piece of furniture I was really attached to.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 6:44AM
zoey_neohio

Thanks for the replies!

Handymac, Are you saying it is ok to prime/paint over what ever is on there now? Should it be latex or oil?

Jon, this piece is a roughfly put together primitive piece (not old) and on second thought I probably shouldn't have gotten it to put on the porch, but what is done is done. Do you recommend a coating of polyetherane or some other protective coating?

Thanks, Zoe

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 7:53AM
HandyMac

Priming/repainting will help. Latex is easier and will be fine.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
africanboy
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™