Name that switch

gblentzMarch 9, 2012

I've been banging my head trying to remember the name of a certain type of switch. It typically consists of three or more push-buttons, usually arranged one right after the other in a tight ganged configuration. Here's the key: when you push a button, the one that was previously down pops up, so only one switch can be closed at any given time. Help? :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

We tend to call them radio buttons... but I don't know if that's the official term.

    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 9:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have some old pushbutton switches removed from luxury homes from the early part of the 1900s. Just two buttons, On and Off. The buttons are brass with pearl inserts in the end and the body of the switch is unglazed porcelain. But such switches were not as durable as those of today. Bulky too, really filled the box.

    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 9:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

You can buy modern version so what bus_driver is talking about, but that's a different description (only two buttons: ON OFF) than what was originally given.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pushbutton light switch

    Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 7:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks guys. After posting, I realized the switch I was talking about is kind of like the type you'd find on a 10-speed Hamilton Beach blender... at least in how they mechanically function. So, I'm looking for a similar SPST switch bank with 3-5 buttons ("OFF" is not a requirement). Any thoughts?

Oh, Bus Driver, yes, I remember those switches! There was an old, old house we lived in for a year or so when I was growing up that had them. I remember getting shocks from one of them all the time! :-0 ;-)

    Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 7:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

The term you're looking for is interlocking.
If you're not trying to switch large currents, there are lots of those around...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample of interlocking swtich

    Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 10:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Interlocking... yes, that's it! And it is to be a contact closure switch, so no current to speak of. Thanks!

    Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 10:40AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™