What is the best method of replacing complete window

willinakAugust 16, 2010

Sills are in bad shape so we need to change out the whole window. What is the preferred method with existing hardboard siding (leaving the siding in place?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

Sill replacements can be done and still use an insert window.

Not saying one is better than the other, but I want you to understand that a sill replacement does not mean that you need to go full tear out on the removal.

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 7:38AM
willinak

Good point, some of the jambs from the bottom (lower corners) do have problems also, and I want them all to match, so I don't think I can pick and choose which method for what window.
Also, there is one window that is a basement egress window that is in a concrete surrounded area. It has rot through to the framing. Can't go bigger, and we're already on the edge with the egress limit. So I'm not sure a full frame replacement (slide-in) will work there.

Believe me, I don't really want to remove the whole window, down to the RO if I can help it.

Let's assume for a moment, that I could salvage the existing frames, what is the best quality replacement option if I want clad w/ wood inside, and in DH?

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 9:49AM
PRO
Windows on Washington

Capping will even out and cover all the wood rot replacement and provide a seamless look to the opening.

Marvin Ultimate, Pella Architect, Jeld Wen, Andersen, etc all make a wood clad insert window.

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
Soft-lite Purchase of Gorell
I was looking to get 4 more windows (Gorell, as I love...
mav3481
Sunrise or Thermal windows and doors
I'm trying to decide between Sunrise windows and Thermal...
craig4536
Is this too much to pay?
My mom has two sets of French doors she needs to have...
joaniben
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™