Wood countertop....Dishwasher Moisture Barrier??

Lynch Home ServicesMay 18, 2009

What should I use underneath my wood countertop where the dishwasher goes? I suppose I need some kind of extra protection from the moisture? There's already 4 coats of water-based poly on the underside and edges- someone said just some plastic, or tin foil should be enough- what have you guys used- and HOW did you attach it?

I know 4 coats of poly is a big help in the long run, but I think adding something extra is a good idea...it's not worth the risk of what could happen down the road?!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldgrowthriverwood

Your 4 coats of poly should be just fine. But when you buy a new dishwasher it has a plastic cover on top that goes under the counter. So a piece of plastic would work. But the 4 coats should be sufficient. We make wood countertops this info comes from experience. I hope you enjoy your wood countertops.

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 10:58AM
mongoct

I use sheet aluminum. Similar to rolls of thin gauge aluminum flashing.

Attach with small sheet metal screws. At the front edge on the bottom of the countertop overhang I'll run a thin bead of clear silicone on the edge of the metal to seal and adhere the Al to the wood, and to soften the edge of the aluminum.

Can't see any of it unless you lay down on the floor and look up.

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 11:19AM
PRO
Lynch Home Services

Thanks mongoct, that's what I was looking for in HD the other day- couldn't find anything big enough (I want to cover the whole 24"x 24" area) That was my exact plan, just can't find it...and the tops are being installed today!

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 11:23AM
lamguy

laminate will work too, we sandwich our countertops between what we call backer(on the bottom) and the laminate on top. Contact cement to hold it on

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 9:33PM
dinkledoodle

Your wood should be no problem. Dishwashers come with sufficient moisture protection built in. Think, they are designed to go under a particle board and laminate counter. The only time moisture escapes from the DW is that rush of steam comes out when you open it.

Ikea sells a Fixa diffusion barrier for their whirlpool DW. It supposedly protects the exposed counter edge outside the DW, against steam escaping when you open the DW. Some people apply metal tape to the front underside edge of the countertop for the same effect.

But, I would be reluctant to put plastic sheeting or something like that under the counter unless the DW manufacturer recommends it. You could create more problems by trying to solve a non-problem. Sometimes, we can over-think these things. Dishwashers are made to be leakproof right from the manufacturer.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 11:48PM
More Discussions
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Brand new dewalt planer, not feeding?
Hopefully it's just me doing something wrong. It's...
fireweed22
Finally mounted upper kitchen cabinet to sloped wall!
I finally got my cabinets installed. In particular,...
stripedbass
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™