restoring teak dining table and chairs

dcmarvelMay 4, 2008

Hello savvy woodworkers,

I have a circa-1950's teak dining room table and 4 chairs. It has been abused over the years and I would like to restore it.

I am not sure exactly what I need to do and what I should not do. I am thinking of sanding the top with an orbital sander. Any ideas of what sanding paper to use, how much to sand, what oil to put on after, etc.

Thank you!

dcmarvel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

A lot of it is going to depend upon how bad it is and whether it's a veneer top or not.

Starting with sandpaper and an orbital sander is probably the wrong choice on many grounds.

If it is bad enough to need stripping, use a chemical stripper. It's messy but way more effective and less risky than starting with sanding. Once the finish is stripped off, all you need is a light sanding (e.g., 220). Starting with sandpaper is going to take forever and risks sanding through thin veneers.

The second issue is that most teak furniture is not "oiled" even though you think it may be. It's usually a flat low build lacquer. I have seen teak furniture that religiously got re-oiled annually. The result was a build up of soft and sticky oil (along with embedded fibers, hairs, etc.)

There may be some intermediate solutions if you give more information on where you are now with condition and where you want to go.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
Need help with staining alder cabinets
Can someone share with me the right way to stain the...
aktillery9
Right size tip-out tray for kitchen sink cabinet
My kitchen sink cabinet is 24" wide. I want to...
africanboy
newbie veneer terminology question
My house has hollow slab doors veneered with luaun...
Fori is not pleased
protecting black walnut salt and pepper mill
Hi all, Just got a set of gorgeous discontinued William...
frodiggs
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
Sponsored Products
Gridy Me Mirror by Menu
$69.95 | Lumens
Accent Lamps: 28.8 in. Chrome Table Lamp with Lamp CLI-LS450535
Home Depot
Steam Punk Table Lamp w/ Gun Metal
$475.00 | Bellacor
Terrazza Outdoor Ottoman with Cushion
Grandin Road
International Caravan PVC & Steel Outdoor Side Table
Overstock.com