Any new reviews on Hurd Casements?

toddaoAugust 10, 2010

We're about to begin a new build and our builder is trying to steer us toward the Hurd aluminum clad casements for our build. We had also considered Lincoln, Marvin Ingegrity and Kolbe. I know Hurd had a lot of problems and subsequent bankruptcy and were bought in Dec 2008. But the sales guy at the shop the builder uses believes these are now the best bang for the buck. I don't want to loose sleep about the windows in my house. Is there any objective evidence out there that the are now quality casement windows?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

There is nothing anyone could ever do or say that would ever convince me to use a Hurd Window. Too many crappy windows over too many years. They always say "this time it will be different". It reminds me of the Peanuts cartoon when Lucy always snatch the ball away before Charlie Brown could kick it. At some point, you just say I don't care. That's how I feel about Hurd. Lied to too many times. I'm not buying it again.

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 8:14AM
toddao

Skydawggy...are you an installer or a consumer? Do you have personal experience with Hurd windows? If so could you please share your experience? I really would appreciate any objective information you have about the casement windows.
Thanks!

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 9:11AM
PRO
Windows on Washington

From a contractors standpoint, I am 100% in Sky's court.

From a temporary consumer standpoint, I did have them in my previous home and they were "ok". This was a bit more than your builders grade home and as such had a better class of material in them.

As a general rule, Hurd is probably one of the more avoidable brands out there by survey of public opinion.

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 4:42PM
willinak

Hate to be a salmon here, but we've had Hurd casemant/awnings in our house for 18 yrs. with zero call-backs and nary a hint of a problem.
That said, they went through a lot of pain over the past few years, so I don't have a present day reference.

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 8:33PM
skydawggy

Well, you are one of the lucky ones.

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 8:58PM
toddao

Thanks folks. I'm not willing to take a chance. I think we'll go with Lincoln, Marvin Integrity or Kolbe depending on cost.

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 9:54PM
skydawggy

Marvin Integrity is going to be your best bet out of that group. I'd put Kolbe in second and I'd be really cautious about Lincoln. I don't have any direct experience with Lincoln but, you hear things..........

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 10:46PM
UltraWindows

Here in Houston, Lincoln's earned a nickname; Leakin Lincolns.

That's not a compliment. I agree with skydawggy, Marvin or Kolbe would be the best options.

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
Whistling in windows with big gusts
Hello, I had new Okna 500s installed this past spring...
sgilliatt
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Thank you for this forum!!
It is nice to see some unbiased information. For any...
dont_trust_the_dog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™