Here's what I've been working on

silvamaeSeptember 9, 2013

Decorative, meant to place in your flower beds . . .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

Here's more . . .

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 5:01PM
texaswild

WOWOWOWOWO!!! You've been bizzzzzzzy. LOVE them all. How very creative. These resemble things we made to leave at the hotel in Puerto Vallarta when CALAM, KLINGER and I met there 10 yrs. ago. I left mine in potted plants. Wouldn't these be great to insert in a new walk? I can think of a bunch of ways to use these little numbers. They sorta remind me of Chris Emmert's Pet Memorian rocks. She's on Flickr.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:15PM
barbfrizzell1955

Wow you have been busy. No wonder we haven't seen any updates on your mannequin! Love them all!!!!

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:54PM
silvamae

Thanks for looking, Slow! Yes, I've seen Chris Emmert's work on Flickr and Etsy. I love how she outlines her designs with ball chain. I want to do that too, but I don't want to be a copy cat, haha. I think these would be good in a walk, as you say, just insert one every so often. I will get back on my Torso No. 2 soon; need to finish that up.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:58PM
silvamae

Thank you, crafty lady. Yes, I will get back on the mannequin real soon. I'd like to finish her up.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 8:49PM
nanatricia

Those are so cool I still want to do that .I have not been feeling well having a flare.What did you do those on.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 10:53PM
oldcrafty

Those are all eye candy!!! I like the pink butterfly the best. Thank you for sharing them. Did you just use thinset to adhere them?

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 11:47AM
silvamae

Nana, sorry you've not been well -- hope you're better soon. These are done on flagstone that I bought at a rock place. They let me dig through the scrap pile left after a pallet of stone was sold. Except the cross on the left is on a broken piece of marble. I used thinset as adhesive and also as grout, plus I sprayed the entire stone with DuPont grout sealer when I was done. I did this to hopefully seal any edges of broken plates to make them more durable since they will be outside in the weather.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 12:01PM
nanatricia

You know we have a grannet place here and they have a big pile you can get for free I wonder about doing some on that .I still want to do some on river rock.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 10:51PM
silvamae

I reckon that would work just as well. Is it flat? Where is the place? I have been meaning to come up your way. Would love to meet up.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 11:19PM
silvamae

I'm working on: garden stones, a guitar, a large mirror, and the torso. I like working on more than one project at a time.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 1:06PM
barbfrizzell1955

Oh those birds are so cute and I love the dragonflies. Shouldn't be long before we see an update on the torso, right?

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 4:36PM
texaswild

OMGoodness. These are just precious. Is that dichroic glass on the dragonflies? Love all these.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 8:32AM
silvamae

Thanks! That is stained glass tile that has a wonderful iridescent sheen on one side that looks dichroic. The tiles were a one-time deal off of eBay and I have no idea how the person accomplished that look. I will be sad when I use them all up.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 10:00AM
nicethyme

oooh I love the shard birds especially

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 11:36AM
silvamae

Thank you -- I love the cute, plump, simple type of little bird.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 12:34PM
silvamae

Finished grouting this morning.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 2:37PM
silvamae

A closeup.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 2:38PM
texaswild

That's reall pretty. You ARE busy. Hats off to you for doing so much. You really have your mojo back. And just think, a few weeks ago you were in a slump. You must be like I am - when it comes back, it comes back like a bullet train roaring down the track. Gooooooooo SILVA.

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 8:44AM
silvamae

Here's Dave's mirror, ready for pickup. 29" x 37".

I could kick myself for not taking a "before" picture. The lizards were rusty, one was missing and another had a bent tail; there were originally 6, 2 on each side and 1 on the top and 1 on bottom. So I had to reposition them. The grout was a sickly pink unsanded with an oocky texture, and there were river rocks pushed into it. The entire bottom part of the mosaic was missing entirely.

He is picking it up today. Fingers crossed that he will like it. His only input was, he doesn't like pink, his favorite color is green, and save the lizards.

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 12:03PM
texaswild

Oooooooooh. I thought you'd mosaiced the whole thing. Where did he find such a mirror. It's quite unique. He can't help but like this beauty. It's wonderful.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 8:29AM
silvamae

We dug out the original mosaic and discarded it (the four panels). We only kept the lizards. I painted them with several layers of green and bronze acrylic. Then mosaiced the background with glass leaves and the gold and red color is a broken salad plate. The original mosaic was a sickly pink background with rusty lizards and black and grey river rocks. Dave got this mirror originally from a neighbor who brought it back from Mexico many years ago. I'm anxiously waiting for him to come pick it up.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 9:49AM
barbfrizzell1955

I'll bet he is thrilled when he sees this!!!

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 6:04AM
julie10059

That is just beautiful, you have done a very nice job :)

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 12:39AM
wishdish

Oh I love your stones! I've been piling up stones (flat and river) for a while now, for this very project. I'll get to them eventually!

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 8:37AM
nanatricia

OMG I love that mirror!!!!!!!

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 10:42PM
silvamae

Getting close . . .

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 5:41PM
silvamae

Here's the back -- butterfly tattoo ....

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 5:42PM
barbfrizzell1955

LOVE!!!!! I was wondering when you were going to get back to this!

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 4:28AM
silvamae

I recently posted a picture of Dave's mirror - the one with lizards or geckos on it. He also had a smaller version and decided he wanted it to be re-done in a similar fashion. So I just finished it yesterday and he picked it up today.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 9:10PM
silvamae

Oops, I already posted a pic of this. Oh well, here it is again. He just picked it up a few minutes ago and he's pleased with it.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 9:11PM
nicethyme

He should be, its FANTASTIC! love your color palette choices.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 5:04AM
silvamae

Thanks so much! Yes, I love the colors in this one. It's an old Furio plate. I've had it for many years and just never realized how much I would like it as mosaic tile!

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
Outdoor Thermometer
Did this to go on our porch next to the kitchen door....
brokenbitmosaics
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™