Generator upgrade, plug change advice needed

budthespud27March 24, 2014

Hi. I am considering upgrading my generator from a 10yr old Tecumseh-engined (very loud) one to a new Champion brand generator that is on sale here. It will require a change in the male plug type that comes from my house to plug into the generator, at the least. I am posting here to see if anyone can confidently tell me whether I need to do anything more then change the plug on the end of the cord coming from my transfer switch. I am not an electrician, but have some basic understanding of electricity.

Details:

I have a transfer switch already built into my home, which I used with the old generator. The house was built 10 years ago, and the transfer switch was installed by an electrician at that time, to work with the generator I still have.

The transfer switch has 30 amp breakers.

Running from that transfer switch is a "polarflex 40 10/4 soow" cord, terminating with a male L14-20.

The generator I'm interested in buying, as an upgrade, has an L14-30 outlet.

My simple research indicates to me the transfer switch and cord can handle 30 amps. As far as I can tell. But it terminates in a plug designed for a 20 amp female outlet on the old generator.

Question: can I simply change the plug at the end of the cord coming from the transfer switch, from an L14-20 to a L14-30? Or is it more complicated then that?

Appreciate any help you can provide. If I haven't provided enough detail, ask me for what you need to know.

Btw, the new generator would be a Champion 7200W. The old one is a Tecumseh engined 5500W.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

It does sound like changing he plug would be acceptable. How long is the cord?

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 5:01AM
budthespud27

The cord is approx 40-50 feet long. It runs from the transfer switch in the basement to the garage, with enough length to allow it to be plugged into a generator running outside the garage.

Thanks for the help with this question.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 7:20AM
Ron Natalie

Sounds reasonable.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 7:25AM
More Discussions
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™