Anyone use Kitchen Tune-up?

blue67May 29, 2008

I would like to get people's opinions that have done or were thinking about doing cabinet reconditioning.

I just met with Kitchen Tune-up who also offers cabinet reconditioning in addition to refacing. For those (like myself!) who aren't familiar with reconditioning, the process includes cleaning the cabinets, some light sanding, filling in holes, putting on 1 coat of lacquer and 2 coats of satin or semi-gloss varnish.

So far this sounds like a very economical option for me. I was thinking of getting my cabinets professionally painted before. I'd love to hear if people who used Kitchen Tune-up or did the cabinet reconditioning were satisfied with the results. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

I think you may have some bad information about the process they use. The idea of applying both lacquer and varnish struck me as improbable, so I checked their website:

"A Tune-Up is our proprietary wood reconditioning process. We start by separating, then removing, the build-up (dirt, grease, wax, smoke and dust) from the woodÂs original finish. Then, we touch up and blend the areas where color may have faded and apply a special colorant. Finally, we can treat your cabinets with a special penetrating oil that restores dried-out wood fibers or apply an entirely fresh coat of finish."

So their typical "topcoat" is either a penetrating oil or a fresh coat of some other unspecified finish. My guess is that this sort of process could certainly spruce-up the look of worn cabinetry, but the effect is probably short-lived. I'd consider doing something like this to improve the look of an older kitchen when selling a house, but I wouldn't think of it as an equivalent to new cabinetry or true refinishing.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 7:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blue67

Thanks for the clarification. I'm a little concerned that you think one coat of finish may wear off relatively quickly. I would rather go with painting if the reconditioning would only last 1 year or so.

I'm going to contact them again to get more details on the actual process because I definitely wrote down 1 coat of laquer and 2 of varnish!

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™