extention cord and fluorescent fixture

dowlinggramMarch 6, 2012

I have a fluorescent light with 2 T8 32 watt bulbs for growing plants. I want to add second fixture. Unfortunately the lights must be set up where there is no electrical outlet so here's what I want to do--

Plug both fixtures into a power bar that I have used for my computer at one time. Then plug the power bar into a 50 foot outside extention cord and plug the extention cord into the timer that is in the outlet. Is this possible or not without any danger of fire. In future I'd like to explore a better way but for this year would it be OK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Technically power strips or extension cords are designed for temporary use although the exact definition of temporary might be subject to some debate.

As long as the all the components are in good shape, I don't see any problems. You may want to check for time to time for good connections and any physical damage to the cord, timer, etc.

You mentioned "outdoor" extension cord. If these lights are outside, then they should be rated for damp or wet locations depending on their use and the timer should be plugged into a GFCI receptacle or on a GFCI protected circuit.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Electrical arc on television cable wire in basement
I am getting and electrical arc (sparking) on my t.v....
Bethany55
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™