Color of wood (flooring)

JamieApril 14, 2012

We're moving into a place with circa 1938 wood floors that have always been covered with carpet. I am told that no finish was ever applied to the floor. There certainly is no evidence of finish now.

We are hiring floor refinishers, but they will probably be the rough type rather than the artisan type.

They say the floors will be red-orange unless I go very dark with the stain. (I've heard some guys say the floor is fir, or Douglas Fir, and others say Red Oak.)

I've tested a clear finish and a minwax medium brown finish, and verified that, yes, they do go orangy -- much more orangey than the sample of red oak that minwax uses in its' display. (no, I don't intend to minwax the whole floor. I just wanted to do a test)

Can you recommend a treatment that would make them brown and eliminate the orange tones without going dark?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sloyder

If the wood has a hard grainy rough texture it is oak, your's sounds like it is fir.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 12:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Any clear finish will enhance the natural color of the wood, only a stain will color it. I would be careful of hiring anyone who cannot identify if a floor is red oak or fir as they are to distinctly different types of wood and will look completely different. Red Oak is a hardwood and Fir is technically a softwood.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
Wood Countertop Oil? Tung vs Mineral
I am going in 2 different directions for my Island...
2LittleFishies
Fence building Question
I'm building a board on board redwood fence. 1 x 8...
waynebo
Need help matching wood stain color
The molding in our kitchen was not completed when we...
candeelyn
Right size tip-out tray for kitchen sink cabinet
My kitchen sink cabinet is 24" wide. I want to...
africanboy
black lacquer touch-up
how do i touch-up black lacquer furniture? Small areas...
laurenjay
Sponsored Products
Chrissy Opal Matte Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$157.50 | Bellacor
Fairmont Designs Shaker Americana 24" Vanity for Integrated Top - Habana Cherry
Modern Bathroom
Enterprise Dining Table in Walnut
$699.00 | LexMod
Beige & Red Tertulia Serafina Reversible Wool Rug
$34.99 | zulily
Campania 10 x 15 in. Medallion Column Cast Stone Pedestal For Urns and Statues -
$569.99 | Hayneedle
Furniture of America Clive Leatherette Loveseat - IDF-6717RD-LV
$429.91 | Hayneedle
Premium Select Gilded Bronze 60-Inch Ceiling Fan with Dark Walnut Hand Carved Or
$598.00 | Bellacor
Dunne 20" High Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™