silicone or something similar that is safe for wiring?

franki_iMarch 10, 2014

We have an electric blanket and it has a pair of thin wires going from the controller to the blanket. If you can picture a lamp's electrical cord that has the positive and negative sides peeled apart, then that would be it. Maybe a bit thinner though.

The wire ends have terminals and they're pushed into a plastic connector which plugs into a female connector secured in the blanket.
What I want to do is put a glob of some kind of non conductive, non corrosive silicone inside the back of the male connector (where the wires are pushed through) and on the wires themselves. The purpose is to keep them stationary and prevent them from twisting and breaking.
I've had the blanket since Christmas and I already replaced the wires once. And they broke again, so now will be twice.
This is *supposed* to be a superior blanket, but I cannot believe they think the electrical engineering on it is acceptable. At least the manufacturer sent me a new controller under warranty which I received today.

When I fixed the wiring the first time, I used heat shrink on each wire and then one more heat shrink wrapping both of them together and as close to the terminal as I could get. The rest is history..

Anyway.. is there anything I can use which is safe knowing that the substance will be touching both bare wires??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

There is no "safe" way to make this repair by anding globs to the mixture. If you can squeeze the mating contacts that is probably your best hope. Frankly, doing add hoc repairs like this to an electric blanket isn't particularly safe at all.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 7:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
niick84

It sounds like what you want to do is burn up in your sleep. That thing is trash you should have returned it. It must be malfunctioning if the wires are doing that already. If you do that repair we will be reading about you on the news not this forum.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
can homeowner so electrical work in his own home ? (above ground pool)
I live in Western ma and I'm having an Adobe ground...
growingadvice
Sponsored Products
Dexton Police Pick Up Roadster Pedal Riding Toy - DX-20334
$379.95 | Hayneedle
West Town 6Lt Chandelier Burnt Sienna Oatmeal
PLFixtures
Industrial Stalactite Chandelier
| Dot & Bo
Sea Gull Lighting Lancaster 1-light Black Outdoor Wall Lantern with Curved Glass
Overstock.com
Melamine & Bamboo Mixing Bowl Set
$24.99 | zulily
Designers Fountain Wall Mounted Mesa Collection Wall Mounted Outdoor
$51.50 | Home Depot
Masiero Lighting | Tessuti Square 6 Light Pendant Light
YLighting
Lithonia Lighting 360 Degree Mounted White Motion Sensor Fixture MSX12
$29.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™