Help in identifying 120y/o wood

iamsblackApril 27, 2014

I'm resurrecting a building which dates back to the late 1800s. There is a lot of beautiful wood that we have to carefully remove and de-nail. There appear to be two main species used at first glance. One, I'm almost sure is red oak but I'm not sure what the other one is. I suspect some type of pine. I'll call them a hardwood and a softwood. Most of the hardwood is rough cut to 1-7/8" x 9-1/2" or thereabouts. The majority of the softwood is 2" x 5-1/.2" When sawmarks are visible they are radial and some string and math tell us the blade was 4-5' in diameter. I've included some nails in one photo to show the vintage of the original fasteners. The building is in Southwestern Ontario.

I did some calcs on some dry samples and the densities check in at 41 lb/cuft and 24 lb/cuft

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iamsblack

Not sure if I can attach two photos to one post but I couldn't see how. Here's the hardwood. I forgot to mention that the thing that puzzles me with the softwood are the pink and yellow hues that I see in several pieces.

Both these pictures were a combination of several view of the same piece of wood if it wasn't evident.

Thanks!

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 10:05PM
sombreuil_mongrel

Hi,
I would say you are right on the money. The softwood is very hard to pinpoint a variety with photos. The density you found is in line with eastern white pine. The oak looks like red oak. Bear in mind, if your objective is to match them with material available today, it's a challenge, as both woods were slow-grown in a forest; the farmed stuff you get today, even were it a scion of the original, it will have grown under very different conditions.
Casey

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 11:44PM
iamsblack

Thanks for the reply. The pine is really gorgeous in person and the rusty nail holes give it a ton of character. I was doing some reading on densities and did a double-check on all my calculations. I screwed up on the hardwood somehow. It's 51.4 lb/cuft. The softwood was accurate at 24.3

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 8:31AM
sloyder

the softer wood could be Fir as well.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 10:55PM
sombreuil_mongrel

Can't be fir with that density. Fir far denser.
Casey

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:02AM
lazy_gardens

In that time, the framing was usually local, so you can look at what is or was harvested locally and eliminate imports. Eastern White pine (which is itself several botanically distinct species) is a good guess.

Trim was often shipped in from "elsewhere".

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
bossyvossy
Advice on finishing outdoor cypress mantel
Hello all, I have a wood finishing dilemma. I have...
Jack Mason
paint or restain moldings
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Need help with staining alder cabinets
Can someone share with me the right way to stain the...
aktillery9
Fence building Question
I'm building a board on board redwood fence. 1 x 8...
waynebo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™