Choosing a nail gun

puzzlefanApril 9, 2008

Is there a recommended nail gun under 100.00 for around the house projects? An electric one, not one requiring a compressor. THank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

"Around the house projects" is pretty vague. Nail guns (both electric and pneumatic) only shoot the particular type of nails they're designed for. One gun is used for framing nails, another for roofing nails, another for finish nails, another for brads, etc. I don't own any electric nailers, but a quick survey of Amazon's offerings suggests that they can only handle 18 gauge (very thin) brads, up to 1 1/4" long. If that's big enough for the projects you have in mind, you might look at the one I linked to; it's well-reviewed for the price. If you need to drive bigger nails, I think you're stuck with pneumatic (or a hammer).

Here is a link that might be useful: Surebonder 5950

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 5:56AM
HandyMac

Short answer is no.

I tried several electric nailers early on in my tool buying stage. There are electric nailers that do work, but they start at over $300. The nailers I tried---much like the one jon mentioned would not nail soft pine trim on plywood edges reliably.

There are kits available that include a couple different sized nailers---16 guage and 18 guage---the portable compressor with hose, oil, some nails and even Teflon tape to use for connecting the quick release adapters to the hose and nailers. Many of those kits can be found for $200-$300 and will handle any DIY job around the house except deck building or framing.

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 10:37AM
bobismyuncle

I think you need to define your requirements and potential projects. The most versatile nailer under $100 would be a hammer. Just what is it that you expect to get out of a gun? Do not think that you MUST HAVE one just because the bearded guy on Saturday morning TV can't function without one.

If you really just want one and want out cheap, a small (

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Anyone have experience with Charles Neil's Preconditioner?
I just ordered it and am wondering if anyone has used...
aktillery9
Fence building Question
I'm building a board on board redwood fence. 1 x 8...
waynebo
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
Finish for cedar window box
I'm fairly new at woodworking. I just completed a cedar...
hoganjr
Right size tip-out tray for kitchen sink cabinet
My kitchen sink cabinet is 24" wide. I want to...
africanboy
Sponsored Products
Signature S-Shaped Vinyl Vertical Blinds. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
A19 Lighting | Krete Downlight Wall Sconce
$99.99 | YLighting
Peacock Outdoor Rug 5'3" x 7'7" - RED/NATURAL
$179.00 | Horchow
Serena & Lily Wickham Shelter Bed
Serena & Lily
Brooksdale Satin Nickel LED Five Light Chandelier
$598.00 | Bellacor
'Choose Joy' Wall Sign
$32.99 | zulily
Napa Dreco Multi Rug (2'3 x 8')