Footers

ernie85017September 8, 2011

Has ayone come up with a use for footers that are cut away from plates and bowls?

Should I just toss them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loribee2

On this thread is an adorable sunflower Marcia did which used the center of the plate, if that's what you're referring to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunflower

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 4:09PM
wackyweeder

You can nip them into pieces and use for borders, blades of grass, as an outline for a circular focal, people always find interesting uses for them. save some interesting colored ones-one day you will say "AHA!"

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 6:06PM
ernie85017

I thought the footer was the actual thicker rim that runs in a circle on the underside of a bowl, cup, plate. All of the ceramic within this circle is the footer as well? You don't use it?
It is thicker in the center, and on smaller ones once I got the curved part off, there wasn't much left. I took a yellow plate today, took off the circle and made a sun. The thin pieces from the rim will be the sun's rays. I can't take credit for that idea. When I cut the first cut the plate didn't cooperate and I got a thin slice - aha, sun rays.

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 7:25PM
silvamae

I hope this link below works. Candace Clough did the most amazing mosaic called (I think) Chick Chick Chicken! and check out the footers! Before I saw her work, I used to throw them away but after seeing this, I started saving them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Candace Clough's Chickens

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 11:55PM
silvamae

Oh and meant to add, the circular area within the footer -- if the plate has a design in the center -- is called a focal. So when you nip a plate, you will have the circular center, then the footers (the thicker circular raised area on the bottom of the plate) and then the rim pieces.

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
acrylic sheet
Hello all I have dabbled in other media like oil and...
bicem
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™