Routing wires through masonry wall

joelbuckleyMarch 31, 2008

Is there a code-compliant way to feed wiring through a masonry wall directly into the back of a surface-mount box, e.g. for a receptacle? The wall in question is stone, and it used to be an exterior wall, but it now separates the house from a sunroom, so I'd say this is a dry location.

I know I could come out of the wall with 1/2" EMT, then elbow into the side of the box. Just wondering if there's a better/easier way. I'd like to minimize the diameter of the hole I have to drill. What about using 3/8" aluminum flex attached to a knockout on the back of the box with one of those connectors that threads into the conduit spiral? Does flex provide enough protection?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigbird_1

You can just run NM directly into the back of the handy box using a regular box connector (4040) or a locknut connector. If there is any chance of physical abrasion of the NM then just use a short run of PVC conduit through the wall. You can always glue a male threaded adapter to the PVC and where it enters the box use a lock ring to secure the PVC.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 6:08PM
joelbuckley

Thanks, bigbird. If the conduit is just to protect against physical abrasion, then THHN in flex (or MC cable) would be ok too, don't you think? All else being equal, I'd use a PVC sleeve like you suggest, but I think the flex will go through a smaller hole than any PVC conduit will go through. That stone is tough stuff.

There won't be any significant abrasion, regardless. I'm probably over-thinking this.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 11:56PM
lonesparky95

I'd ha' pushed a short length of UF through the wall, but can see nothing wrong with these other applications.

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
sniffdog
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
mtvhike
Sponsored Products
Aquasana Countertop Water Filter
$104.95 | FRONTGATE
Route 66 Wall Hooks
$44.99 | Dot & Bo
Double Demountable Cabinet Hinge - 1/2" Overlay - Set of 2
Signature Hardware
Olive and Rust 18-Inch Decorative Pillows Set of Two
$55.95 | Bellacor
Wonderworld City Beads Wooden Maze - WW-2008
$129.99 | Hayneedle