patio doors -SilverLine Anderson vs. wood

marl57August 5, 2012

I'm wondering if anyone has used the SilverlIne by Andersen vinyl patio door. ow does it compare to the wood. Also 6ft door vs 8ft. sliding door..any experience/opinions? thx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Bottom of the barrel builders grade. Tough to compare to wood as there is wood out there dam near as bad, any brand wood in particular?

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 8:12PM
marl57

trying to compare the 2 Anderson lines - SilverLine , to their 200 series wood patio sliding door . Contractor rec their vinyl if I wanted to save money, but doesn't seem to be much difference...Is their a better vinyl patio door . Have heard of Simington? I hunk is the name

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 10:21PM
EcoStarRemodel

Since Silverline is pretty much the bottom of the barrel, anything else you choose would likely be better. However, if you want better quality, don't expect to get it at fire sale prices. Simonton makes a decent door as does Sunrise and Softlite.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 6:31AM
mmarse1

Silverline is complete garbage.. for the life of me, i dont know why anyone would want that in their home.. silverline is not only poorly constructed, it looks very cheap and detracts from the home. it amazes me how homeowners look for the cheapest products sometimes and fail to realize cheaper ends up costing more in the end.
Sunrise, Okna, HiMark, Soft Lite make some nice quality patio doors.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 8:20AM
EcoStarRemodel

mmarsel,

You can't blame people. All they know is they have heard of the company and the price is really good so they are willing to take the chance and hope the warranty will protect them. After all, how bad could it be, right? Plus, they think they will be moving before the windows fail so why should they care as long as it doesn't happen to them?

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 11:45AM
mmarse1

i forgot about the old " we are only going to be here for a few years and dont really need to spend too much" excuse.
thats the biggegst defense mechanism known to man..lol
seriously, the best consumer is one that does their homework and realizes that cheap is cheap for a reason. windows arent like a car that can be turned in at the end of a lease or sold in 3 years. windows are meant to last a few decades if a quality product is chosen.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 7:28PM
EcoStarRemodel

Champion products are decent quality. However, I doubt you got true factory direct pricing after you add in the sales commissions and marketing expenses.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 9:11AM
More Discussions
Whistling in windows with big gusts
Hello, I had new Okna 500s installed this past spring...
sgilliatt
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
Is this too much to pay?
My mom has two sets of French doors she needs to have...
joaniben
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
Requesting feedback re: interior bronze window frames
My home is a small (1500 sq. ft.) contemporary with...
texasgal47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™