using waterlox on windows

brocephus516August 29, 2009

Hello,

I have some new aluminum clad wood windows in my house and I would like to use Waterlox to finish the interior, but I need some instructions on how to accomplish this. Any suggestions? I have never finished any type of wood before. I just need some guidance on how to get this done. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
awsdan

Short answer = Take your time.

Long answer= Remove sashes from frames, as much as possible remove hardware from sashes. It is best to not remove weatherstrip because it often won't reinstall as nicely as it was installed at the factory. Avoid masking weatherstrip with tape that has an agressive adhesive but by all means try to not get your finish on the weatherstrip. Don't be in a hurry to re-assemble the units. Make sure the finish is completely dry to the touch before closing the windows against weatherstrip. Do not wipe the weatherstrip with any solvent of any kind. The only lubricant or cleaner I recommend on window weatherstrips is Lemon Pledge. It will also be kind to your wood finish.

The most common service calls and long-term issues with wood clad windows relate to how carefully the finishing of the wood is done. You will enjoy your windows for a much longer time than it will take to finish them, so take your time and do it right. You will never regret taking the extra time.

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
Brand recommendation?
I would very much appreciate some recommendations on...
oakenacres
Need reassurance! Pella windows not a bad decision?
My house currently has 4 kinds of windows - contractor's...
Lrw2a
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™