using waterlox on windows

brocephus516August 29, 2009

Hello,

I have some new aluminum clad wood windows in my house and I would like to use Waterlox to finish the interior, but I need some instructions on how to accomplish this. Any suggestions? I have never finished any type of wood before. I just need some guidance on how to get this done. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
awsdan

Short answer = Take your time.

Long answer= Remove sashes from frames, as much as possible remove hardware from sashes. It is best to not remove weatherstrip because it often won't reinstall as nicely as it was installed at the factory. Avoid masking weatherstrip with tape that has an agressive adhesive but by all means try to not get your finish on the weatherstrip. Don't be in a hurry to re-assemble the units. Make sure the finish is completely dry to the touch before closing the windows against weatherstrip. Do not wipe the weatherstrip with any solvent of any kind. The only lubricant or cleaner I recommend on window weatherstrips is Lemon Pledge. It will also be kind to your wood finish.

The most common service calls and long-term issues with wood clad windows relate to how carefully the finishing of the wood is done. You will enjoy your windows for a much longer time than it will take to finish them, so take your time and do it right. You will never regret taking the extra time.

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
Scherer Bros Windows Rotting
We have just learned our bottom window sashes are badly...
talkingtony
Window Manufacturers
Ladies and Gents: Wife and I are shopping brands for...
GoldenBear
Are Hurd Windows OK?
I've heard before of Marvin and Anderson windows, but...
kats
Modern Windows
Can anyone suggest an affordable modern window? Thanks!...
shorty
Sponsored Products
Jack Russell Terrier Ornament
$46.50 | FRONTGATE
Danze Parma Trim Only Single Handle - Chrome
Modern Bathroom
Antique Altar Table
$895.00 | Horchow
Tiffany-style Angel Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Veneto Luce Montana Eight-Light Matte Black Zig-Zag Chandelier
Bellacor