Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?

amt782April 15, 2012

I have read many of the inspirational posts in the kitchen forum of gel stains being used for cabinets with great results. My question is are they a durable enough finish (with gel topcoat) to handle the traffic on stair treads? I am considering going with the General Finishes Java Gel Stain. My goal is to go almost black so it appears black from a distance but still has some grain visible up close. To those with experience with General Finishes, will Java give me a dark enough color or do I need to go with a dark stain underneath the gel stain? From Stairs

From Stairs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Gel stain on bare wood will be the same permanence as a liquid stain. If over a previous finish, it will wear off if the finish coat wears off. So use a tough finish coat, like a floor varnish.
If oil-based varnish is used, either make real sure the gel stain is fully cured, or use a separator coat of shellac sealer to prevent the varnish's solvent from disturbing the stain.
Casey

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 4:54PM
ThornhillLouis

I also want to know about the same relevant topic and I agree with idea of sombreuil_mongrel.. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 7:57AM
brickeyee

Any pigment stain is sitting ON the wood, and will wear if the protective coat wears away exposing the stain.

Dye could fare a little better, but depending on the type of wood the penetration can be very slight.

Any coloring is going to rely on the clear coat on top for wear protection.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 11:01AM
bus_driver

For my stairs, I had the luxury of plenty of time for finishing them. Four coats of urethane with a week drying between coats and each coat sanded prior to the application of the next. I now wish I had done 6 coats.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 8:26AM
EdeLa

Hi bus_driver
May I ask what brand of urethane you used on your stairs?

I have a set of fir stairs in my home that I am currently sanding down to finish...haven't decided what I am going to finish them with however! I will not be using a stain/color on them as I like the natural beauty/color of the fir. Simply need something to 'clear coat' them with for protection and was wondering what product you used...and why you wish you would have done a few extra coats.
Cheers

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 3:35PM
bisonchick

I have a steps finished with a honey oak color and four coats of polyurethane. I would like to darken the color. Is there a way to do this without removing the old finish?

Bookmark   February 5, 2015 at 2:44PM
jeff-1010

i'd go with ebony. the more applications the darker it gets with out going totally black. it's a dark, dark warm gray. and it's a standard color in the world of stains. as far as the clear coat goes, you need a floor varnish. personally i'd use a marine varnish despite it's price. if it doesn't hold up, then stop walking around in cleats:-)

Bookmark   February 5, 2015 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™