Installing an aerial cable for a detached carport.

byose5March 31, 2011

I have a detached carport about 10 feet from my house. I'm looking to install an aerial cable to feed a receptacle and two security lights. (120V, 20A)

The nature of the landscape is such that burying the cable is not an option, but on the plus side, there's no way a vehicle could ever drive under it.

I'm curious as to how it should exit the house. (In conduit?) I can go as high as 7 feet initially. It will need to travel vertically until it reaches its required height.

What is the required height?

What kind of strain relief/connections should be employed on either end?

What kind of cable is rated for this kind of application?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

From the code for heights:

Overhead spans of open conductors and open multiconductor cables of not over 600 volts, nominal, shall have a clearance of not less than the following:
(1) 3.0 m (10 ft) � above finished grade, sidewalks, or from any platform or projection from which they might be reached where the voltage does not exceed 150 volts to ground and accessible to pedestrians only
(2) 3.7 m (12 ft) � over residential property and driveways, and those commercial areas not subject to truck traffic where the voltage does not exceed 300 volts to ground
(3) 4.5 m (15 ft)

The point of attachment to the buildings must also be at least 10' over the finished grade.

SEVEN FEET IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT.

You're going to have to come out of the building with conduit and attach to an appropriate weatherhead or in some cases a gooseneck. UF if listed for sunlight and supported by a steel messenger would work.

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 9:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
byose5

Thanks for your response.
Sorry about the confusion regarding the 7 foot height. What I meant to say was that since I can have the cable exit the house at only 7 feet, I'll need to find a way to raise it up to the proper height before I can send it across to the carport. It sounds like a conduit with a weather-head would be the way to make that happen.

So for the messenger cable. Would I be correct that it is a steel cable that will run from the house to the carport like a guy wire?
Does that attach to the cable with U-clamps, or is there a particular way to support the cable properly?

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 3:10AM
More Discussions
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™