Stained wood cabinetry question

anon_girlApril 17, 2011

I have hand made, pine, stained wood kitchen cabinets. They aren't exactly my style, but they are all hardwood, and someone spent time building them, so I don't feel right ripping them out. They are though, old and dirty. I'm not sure how to clean them. They are stained, but not sealed. They are shaker style and I noticed lots of grime in the corners, finger marks and a bit of fading in areas that are high use. Can I use TSP on them or will that ruin them? Also, can I paint over the stain? If I wanted to restain them but stain them black is there anything I need to do? Thanks so much for any help. I don't want to ruin the cabinets, as they are so well made.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

There is some kind of finish or the wood would be grey or warped, or much worse looking. That precludes staining, unless you use a gel stain---which is more paint than stain. That means it is not a good stain nor a good paint.

Rather than using TSP---which no longer has phosphates(EPA), try a good liquid dish soap solution and a rag. Not wet, just damp.

Let dry 24 hours, prime with BIN(by Zinsser) and paint.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 1:32AM
More Discussions
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
Finally mounted upper kitchen cabinet to sloped wall!
I finally got my cabinets installed. In particular,...
stripedbass
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™