Garage shelving

thomaskuhnApril 17, 2013

I originally posted in garages/workshops but this seemed a better place...

I am building shelves for the garage and am in the final stages. I have a question regarding the need for any additional "wall to shelf" brackets.
I must preface that i am not a master carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, especially on big projects like this.

When I built these, i used my dads technique of attaching 1x2x8' to the cinderblock wall with 1/4" tapcons every 12" to 16". There is one strip on the top and one strip 48" down on the bottom shelf (not sure what these strips re called). I then preceded to build the shelving (3/4" ply) off of those brackets by screwing and gluing to them. Vertical sides were added, then finally the internal horizontal shelves. Everything is glued and screwed.

My question is... Should i add more 1"x2" under the various horizontal shelves for additional support, or will the strips i have support everything well enough?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Nice shelves!

It depends on what you plan to store on the shelves. Adding a face frame strip[ at the front will make it more rigid, but it looks like your only really long shelf has verticals holding it.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 8:36AM
thomaskuhn

Thanks

I will mostly be storing regular garage "stuff". Coolers somewood on the top, plumbing parts, paint, etc.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 4:36PM
randy427

IMHO more support is better. You never know when you might start collecting bowling balls and anvils.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Fence building Question
I'm building a board on board redwood fence. 1 x 8...
waynebo
protecting black walnut salt and pepper mill
Hi all, Just got a set of gorgeous discontinued William...
frodiggs
Best Finish over Oil Based Stain
I stained my table with Early American by Minwax, both...
logies101
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™