carving knife

john_alApril 4, 2008

I've seen on tv people carving with some type of knife that's hinged to a bench on one end, and the other end is held in the user's hand. The workpiece is supported on the bench and carved thusly.

Does anyone know what these knives are called? Where you might buy one? I'd do a search, but have no idea what to search for.



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I suspect that what you are seeing is a chef skilled in the use of a chef's knife.
Does the video below show what you are talking about?
Linda c

Here is a link that might be useful: knife skills

    Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 10:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If I understand correctly, you are carving wood, not roast beef or carrots. I think these are called "block knives." The ones I have seen have a hook on one end that's inserted into an eye, and a handle on the other end. This creates a second-class lever and allows a lot of pressure at the cutting edge.

They were quite often used by wooden shoe makers.

I don't know that I've ever seen a new one for sale. I think you are going to either have to haunt tool auctions or web sites, or find a good blacksmith to make one for you.

    Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 9:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Linda, that's my mistake. I meant woodcarving knife, although I will watch the video, since I love to carve meat, especially when I think I'll get to eat some of it. My apologies, and thank you.

Bobsmyuncle, you read my mind. That's exactly what I was referring to. At least now I can start a web search for "block knives". I'm carving, or rather trying to, wooden bowls. Thank you.

If anyone has any information on this, please respond.


    Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 5:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


I'm normally over on furniture, but saw this. Owl Lumber in Des Plaines, IL, sells block blanks for making wood bowls. They may know something about what you're looking for.

    Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 11:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'll check it out.

Thanks, John

    Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 8:31PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™