Next project: an obelisk . . . inspired by a recent post

silvamaeSeptember 23, 2009

This is a very heavy glass vase that a friend broke. It belonged to her grandmother and was passsed down to her, so she was devastated. I found the top half at a thrift shop; I think it may have held a candle and hung in a metal bracket. I turned it upside down and glued onto the top of the vase (after gluing the vase together). I will post more pics later; I just started gluing it today.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cathyscache

It's very pretty!!! What a gorgeous vase. i bet she's just sick. Oh well you'll make it beautiful again!!!

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 3:49PM
taigen_gw

Oh how perfect they are together!! It will look fantastic in the garden. I am so anxious to start mine :(

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 4:23PM
katishooked

I am stunned. Jaw dropping beautiful.

Kat

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 5:36PM
texaswild

LOVE assemblages, and this one is perfect.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 9:10AM
silvamae

Here's an update; click on the link, and then click on the image. The sun glared on the prettiest glass, which is amethyst, and you can still see bare spots, like the top of the point. This is opening up a whole new world for me, ladies. I can see combining the totem and obelisk for the garden! Oh I wish I was about 20 to 30 years younger!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 10:04AM
cathyscache

SILVA: This is lookin good girl. I'm lovin it!!!! WOW

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 10:44AM
silvamae

Slowmedown, my new favorite word is now: Assemblage. Love it; thank you.

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 12:02PM
texasfern

Very nice.
How tall is it?

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 6:09PM
silvamae

Thanks, y'all. It is small, only about 14 inches tall. Next I want to do one much taller, maybe 5 feet, and use thinset and put it in the garden.

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 12:26PM
silvamae

Check it out - finished glueing, now will grout hopefully tomorrow, then I will be done and put it in the mail.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog - progress on obelisk

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 6:51PM
texaswild

OHMYGOODNESS. This is gorgeous. She is gonna LOVE it. Do you have pieces to "assemble" for your next one, or w/you use the mesh/concrete technique? I so love the pointy top idea for a column/obelisk. Anxious to see your WIP start. Hurrrrrrry.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 10:25AM
silvamae

Okay guys. I am a leeetle freaked out right now. My heart is pitter-patter-ing and I have a few light chills. I just finished grouting the "obelisk" or "assemblage" as I now choose to call it, and Well, I can't really talk about it or I will start bawling. Anyway, please come in and see it, grouted. After sealing, I will paint the grout in a metallic color, probably black, and ship it to my cyber friend in California.

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 11:55AM
cathyscache

Oh it turned out just GORGEOUS!!!! What a wonderful gift!!!! Great job girl!! Wow yur light is shining through!!!!!!!

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 12:24PM
texaswild

Oh you l'il heifer!!!!!!!!! Too beautiful for words, and doncha just love it when something so simple turns out so beautiful? Unbelieveable that no light surrounds it except a cloudy daylight, and you get such wonderful effects. But, of course, you anticipated that when you put those fabulous pieces of glass in it. Re your crying, I cried most of the way through making Suzie's shrine to her life and profession. She cried so much she loaded it in her Jeep and took off for home. It was divinely inspired. I'm so happy for you that you've discovered a new road to explore in your art. Chase that rabbit - we'll be behind you craving pictures.

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 12:45PM
silvamae

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement. I finished it today and it will be shipped tomorrow. I am so happy with it and I'm ready to do another one, a BIG one.

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 5:29PM
katishooked

Gorgeous Silva. It turned out better than I could even picture it would. Your friend will be very surprised and pleased I am sure.

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 7:01PM
Calamity_J

WOW!!! I'm glad I came back to this as I thought you were done with just glueing it together, I didn't catch on that you were mosaicing it! duh! It has turned out so nice!!!!

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 8:25PM
texaswild

Absolutely beautiful, and look how neat your grouting is!!!!!

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 9:02PM
wackyweeder

Oh wow, this is beautiful. In a partly sunny spot in the garden an absolute eyecatcher. good job!

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 9:04AM
nanatricia

Yes that did turn out GREAT!!!!!!~

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 9:59PM
silvamae

Thanks, Katishooked, Wackyweeder, Nanatricia . . . Nanatricia, you may be interested in visiting this wonderful sculpture gallery I discovered this weekend; it's right outside of Johnson City. Here's a photo of a perpetual motion metal and glass sculpture. See my blog for more info.

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 9:11AM
texaswild

Wonderful pictures, SILVA. Dang it, SILVA, you're making me VERY homesick for the Austin area. I loved living there.

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 9:37AM
silvamae

Aww Slow, I know what you mean; Austin just can't be beat. The ONLY thing I would change about this area, if I could, would be the long hot summers. Maybe throw in a few days of under 100 degree weather during the month of August.

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
Thrift Store Remake....
I thought it needed a little something extra.
brokenbitmosaics
Clock
Finished recently
wackyweeder
Outdoor Thermometer
Did this to go on our porch next to the kitchen door....
brokenbitmosaics
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™