Steel or Fiberglass Door

leah_1216August 31, 2009

I'm replacing a basement door that is located in a playroom/den and leads to a patio. I want a well insulated door. Is there a big difference between steel and fiberglass? One store insisted fiberglass was the way to go, and said that steel eventually will pit. Another store recommended steel. Also, have you heard of ProVia doors?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

Provia Doors are one of the best you can buy. Provia also provides a lifetime warranty on their 20 gauge galvinized steel doors. I'd go for a steel door for the basement as it will provide the best deterrent to a break in. Provia doors also come with a steel security plate that should be installed.

We installed 2 Provia Steel doors for an elderly woman a few years ago who had had several break-ins. Last year she fell asleep while smoking and the house caught on fire. A neighbor called the FD and they could not get in the house thru the 2 Provia Doors even with axes. They did get in thru a window. The Firemen wanted to know who made those doors b/c they said they couldn't believe how strong they were. Needless to say she was fine and I found out about this when she called to order 2 new doors. Said she couldn't have been more pleased and she really felt much safer.

Bookmark   September 1, 2009 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
dfb_jlw
Sunrise, Marvin, and window shopping woes
Hello, I am looking for some advice. Briefly, we live...
Summer
need window advice about a retro fit window in new opening thats finis
can i put a retro fit in a new window opening if i...
abatt64
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
Marvin Ultimate Clad Double Hung SDL - With or Without Spacer Bar
I am looking to buy the Double Hung, Marvin Ultimate...
cdrigans
Sponsored Products
American Wood Mission Frosted Bi-fold Door
Overstock.com
150 Watt 12 Volt Outdoor Transformer
Lightology
Liberty Furniture Messina Estates Poster Bed & Dresser & Mirror & Chest in Antiq
Beyond Stores
Uptown Theater Row Outdoor Wall Sconce by Quoizel
$119.99 | Lumens
ACF by Nameeks ACF C04-LC Cubical 37-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Larch Cana
Hayneedle
Cambridge Harbor Gray Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™