Wood stain on frosted glass

elginagentApril 14, 2008

Hi all,

Not sure if this fits into this forum but I'll give it a shot. I stained our pantry door which is frosted glass. You know, the kind that says "PANTRY" on it with a design. Well, try as I might to tape things off before staining, some wood stain got on the frosted part and now I'm afraid to use anything to get it cleaned off for fear of making a bad problem worse. Any ideas?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

I'd remove the glass from the door and clean it with an appropriate solvent.

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 6:32AM
elginagent

Thanks jon1270. I tried using mineral spirits on a small area of the frosted part and it left the glass kind of smeared looking. I was afraid to go any further without some professional help. Is frosted glass as impervious to chemicals like unfrosted glass? Can you use a razor blade to remove tape residue or paint overspray etc?
Thanks in advance.

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 5:25PM
steveprofinisher

Not all frosted glass is the same. Some is sand blasted or acid etched. This type can be cleaned with MEK, Lacquer thiner, Acetone, etc. followed by any window cleaner without any damage. The other type of frosting is sprayed on. A translucent white paint. Cleaning this type with solvents will remove it.

Mineral spirits will not work after the stain is dry. You will need one of the stronger solvents.

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™