Replacing existing vinyl windows?

dem66August 27, 2011

I have been in construction for 15 years and have installed many vinyl windows but have never installed replacement windows. This is for my own house which is a double wide mobile home with Kinro vinyl windows some have been damaged by hail so we want to replace all the windows a total of 8. I am looking at replacing them with the Simonton 5500.

My question is on how to do the install. I have talked to one installer who said you just use a saws-all and cut between the window and exterior trim to remove the existing window flange; cut loose the interior caulk between window frame and interior jambs and remove the window. Then slide replacement window in against interior jamb; screw window in place and caulk inside and out. Is this the correct procedure? And if so do you just measure the outside dimensions of the original window frame and order accordingly?

I know I have over simplified this just for brevity sake.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

The first thing you need to do is measure the wall depth. The Simonton 5500 is 3.25".

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 7:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dem66

Thanks for the reply skydawggy. The walls are 2X6 construction. After further inspection I have discovered that the vinyl window flange is over the top of the hardboard siding (4x8 sheets)and just under the window trim (1/2" hardboard siding ripped for trim what can I say it is a mobile home). Would I be better of pulling the trim and replacing windows with a flange and install new trim? Can you get a flange on the Simonton 5500?

The interior make up is painted MDF jamb butted against window frame and then caulked with casing over edge of jamb and over sheetrock. I would like to replace the windows without disturbing the inside.

To finish answering your question 2x6 framing = 5 1/2". Interior jamb is 5" so including 1/2" drywall you have 4 1/2" of 2x6 on interior of window frame and 1" plus 1/2" sheathing plus 1/2" siding under window frame. The existing window frames are 2 3/4" wide.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Thank you for this forum!!
It is nice to see some unbiased information. For any...
dont_trust_the_dog
Is this too much to pay?
My mom has two sets of French doors she needs to have...
joaniben
Starmark/OKNA Replacement Windows vs. Anderson?
We met with a salesman yesterday who quoted us a price...
snaupal
What size windows - 12' Great Room Ceiling
I found this great room picture, and am looking to...
burbmomoftwo
Requesting feedback re: interior bronze window frames
My home is a small (1500 sq. ft.) contemporary with...
texasgal47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™