Name for type of handle?

breenthumbApril 24, 2007

I have a small wooden trunk with handles that lift to carry then drop back down against the backplate. The handles and backplate are all one piece. Does anyone know what this type of handle is called? Pretty sure I've seen them on older furniture too. I'd like to buy another one but have no idea what to search for. TIA, Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sounds like "flush" or "inset" handles...

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley Tools

    Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 7:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Trunk lifting handle at Van Dyke Restorers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Dyke Restorers

    Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 8:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes! Those recessed (inset) handles at Lee Valley are exactly what I've been looking for. You can only imagine the vacant stares I got at HD & hardware stores asking about them.

And the VanDyke Restorers site will be useful when I fix up the really old trunks.

Thank you both for responding so quickly. Sandy

    Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 9:14PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™