Exterior paint help!

petes_wifeAugust 9, 2012

Oh, could somebody please help a girl out?! I'm so, so bad with paint colors. I have yet to paint a room a color that I'm happy with....it has always gotten repainted within a year. And now I'm faced with the decision about our exterior paint color for our house built in 1925. This is definitely going to be a one time shot - my husband will not want to repaint the outside of our home again next summer!

We had picked out a slate gray/blue for the siding, but our direct neighbor beat us to it and just had their house painted the exact shade we were hoping for. Yellow, baby blue, and teal/green are the neighbors' house colors that surround ours. A new roof and gutters will be put on in the next month as well, so we are not stuck with the current roof color. Concrete stairs and railings will be replaced with something more appealing at some point, but probably not this year.

My husband is bored with the current tan/gray and would like something more "interesting." My 3 year old would like it to be red like Lightening McQueen. If that helps you at all.... ;-)

So, if this were your house, what would you paint it? Many thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mclarke

What an adorable house! I really like the color it is now.

Sorry, no help.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 3:19PM
awm03

I've seen some houses around my area that are a grayed lavender or a gray with a purple-ish cast. They are so pretty with the greens of summer or the snowy whites of winter. Charcoal black shutters & I don't know what for the door.

Examples: Doeskin from Sherwin Williams (what I have in mind is lighter, but this is still pretty)

Discreet White from SW

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 3:45PM
mclarke

What an adorable house! I really like the color it is now.

Sorry, no help.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 3:46PM
teacats

Actually -- your darling cottage would be really wonderful in deep barn red with a black roof; black shutters and a bright white door -- plus window boxes under the front windows .... :)

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 3:53PM
teacats

Or how about:

Black roof; dark olive green body; black shutters; white front door and window boxes ....

Black roof; white body; black shutters, eggplant door.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 3:59PM
laura mcleod

I think it is a really nice neutral color with no weird undertones, which is a major accomplishment! Personally, I think the house looks great as is - but if I had do something I would probably -

Get a a black storm door for a nice crisp look that leans a touch more historical.

Change to a single black light fixture that fits the era of the house - same for the house numbers and mailbox, something chunky, simple and touch more historic

Put in some larger foundation plantings in the back of those beds - so plantings look fuller and the house looks nestled into the landscape.

A big change would be to swap out the concrete stairs and walk for another surface - like flagstone or brick. I think that would have a bigger impact than a new paint color - but it can be expensive to have it done right.

I agree with the window boxes suggestion - that could look fantastic.

Again - the house looks great - maybe some new details will provide some of the new look you and DH are in search of

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 6:15PM
msrose

I don't just like the color it is now, I love the color it is now. Don't mess with perfection!

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 8:44PM
chibimimi

I love the color of the siding, and think it would really snap nicely if the door and shutters were painted a deep cobalt blue.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 9:01PM
Olychick

Omigosh, why would you change it? It is darling!!

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 12:23AM
petes_wife

Haha, you all are not very helpful! ;-) Just kidding, of course. I told my husband that the majority of you said to keep it the same color and his response was, "Well, maybe the tan isn't that bad."

Lauralincoln - I 100% agree with all of your suggestions and they are things that we would like to do at some point. And if the painting were just a cosmetic issue, we'd choose to do something else before painting. But, while they previous owners apparently picked a nice color, they didn't know what they were doing when they painted. Even though the paint isn't very old, one side of our house has huge pieces of paint just falling off, exposing wood. They didn't move a single thing when they painted, so there is the old baby blue color behind every downspout, every bush, etc. Also, I just have to mention the landscaping because it's my baby...Everything that you see is a year or less old. Our goal is a filled in, lush landscape, but it'll take a few years of growth.

Thanks for your help everyone! We may just end up color matching what we already have. :)

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
aluminum prints in bathroom
has anyone had experience with keeping aluminum prints...
soccerfan15
Hardwood floors and adjoining room, help please
We are sanding and staining the wood in our living...
jtaime2
Anyone Dislike Their Memory Foam Mattress?
After 4-5yrs of having it DH and I looked at each other...
ttodd
Laundry room paint & would you remove the door?
Decided to askā€¦ What color would you pull from the...
misformink
Sponsored Products
Soft Apricot 30" High Oval Twist Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Upton Home Adami Black Desk
Overstock.com
Rustic 3-Door Console
| Dot & Bo
Graham & Brown Labyrinth Wallpaper - 31-561
$75.00 | Hayneedle
Red 4.5'' Tomato Knife
$7.99 | zulily