Code Question

dhustonMarch 26, 2012

I have a question about some breakers regarding the 2007 code. Was told by the inspector that all circuits had to be GFI or AFI. NO regular circuit breakers allowed except for dishwasher and garbage disposal. Is this correct? I am in NW FL if that makes a difference.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"2007 code"

Better check your year again.

The NEC is on a 3 year code cycle.

2005, 2008, 2011

Localities can adopt it as they see fit, and make changes also.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 4:13PM
bus_driver

What inspector? The electrical inspector for your governmental building inspections unit? Or a housing inspector for HUD or some department controlling existing housing? Or someone called a home inspector?

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 4:44PM
dhuston

OKay. I will double check on that. Does this sound normal? Have you heard of this in other areas? Reason I am asking is because the inspector was filling in for the normal inspector that is out on vacation and he kept having to call back to the office to ask questions. Kinda makes me wonder if he knows what he is doing!!

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 4:57PM
Ron Natalie

Florida is now on the 2008 code. While the code doesn't strictly say "all circuits must be AFCI or GFI" that's a lost a practical matter.

The AFCI requirement is:

. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

The GFCI requirement says

All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection

and then goes to list locations: Kitchens, outdoors, bathrooms, basements, garages..

Note there is a difference in the two requirements. GFCI applies only to receptacles. AFCI applies to all outlets on the 15/20A circuit (for example, lighting).

Now if you'll notice, that the house receptacle circuits are pretty much split between areas that require AFCI and those that require GFCI. There may be a few random 15/20A circuits (for example lighting circuits serving GFCI areas such as Bathrooms, Kitchens, and Garages) that don't need to be protected with AFCI.

Note that circuits larger than 15/20A don't require AFCI or GFCI protection. Nor do the 240V ones.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 4:59PM
petey_racer

If your home was built in 2007 I guarantee you it was up to code at the time since you are living there and obviously have a C of O.
If it was up to code then it is up to code now.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 5:04PM
Ron Natalie

A house built in 2007 in Florida would need only comply with the 2005 code. The 2005 code mandates AFCI only for 15/20A 120V circuits serving bedroom outlets.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 5:44PM
exota2006

Does the furnace breaker incuded in the AFCI requirement?

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 10:14PM
Ron Natalie

The requirements are as I stated. Unless someone put your furnace in one of the living spaces (I guess you could have a basement rec room with an unenclosed furnace), there's no requirement for AFCI.

If you're talking the 2005 code, it only applies to bedrooms.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 4:17AM
More Discussions
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™