How do I transition these 2 pieces of trim?

weedyacresApril 28, 2012

I've got a baseboard wrapping around a wall that needs to butt into the stringer trim coming up the side of the stairs. I can't figure out a way to make this look good. The stairs used to be carpeted, which is why I've got this to deal with.

This is about the best I could come up with, and it works on the outside line of the trim, but there are 2 different profile changes, and I don't think there's any amount of caulk and putty that can make it look good.

Any ideas? The stringer trim is unavailable at any of our local box stores/lumber yards.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The angle on that looks odd. My stairs have vertical transition pieces. Something like this but just a plain piece of wood.

    Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 8:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Do a return on the tall piece and align the return with the edge of the top tread. Cut a filler piece to fit between the return and the top of the angled trim.

    Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 10:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the photo, snookums.

handymac: What shape/material would you recommend making the filler piece from?

    Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 7:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Try to make the filler look like the profile of the slanted trim. It will be very small anyway.

    Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 11:26PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™