Solar shades/blinds question

wallycatAugust 27, 2011

DH and I recently moved to home in the Pacific Northwest.

Summers can be cool but also unseasonably hot. We have huge Bow (like bay but bigger) windows and lots of windows in general. The kitchen windows offer amazing views of Discovery Bay.

We love the views but I (DH doesn't care either way) detest the glare of the sun. It is sunny a lot out here.

Most days when it is cool, I love that all these windows heat the house but of course, would love to avoid turning on the a/c if I can during the unseasonably hot times.

So....is there anything that retains amazing views but can cut the glare (and the UV damage) but be able to be removed when you actually want the blasted sun (can you tell I hate summer?) DH is concerned that any blind (even the 15 - 17% open) will make the view not crystal clear.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Kitchen windows are the worst for blinding me when I work in there prepping dinner but they are the ones that offer the most amazing of the views.

...and I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I realize I"m dreaming of the perfect solution but thought I'd put it out there.

Outside blinds/awnings are iffy as 70mph winds can happen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GulfBreezeWindows

What you want to check out is the most open % dark sun shade. Most are going to be made by Phifer and be a Shearweave.

The reason you want a dark color is that is absorbs the light so it reduces glare and allows for more visibility.

A 5-10% black will allow the best visibility. And if the color matches, there is one color, whos name that eludes me right this second, that has a touch of brown in it that is actually the best for visibility.

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
Scherer Bros Windows Rotting
We have just learned our bottom window sashes are badly...
talkingtony
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
dfb_jlw
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
Sponsored Products
Bali Tailored Roman Shades - Solid Colors
Blindsgalore
Scheherazade 2 Tier Geometric Suspension
Lightology
ELK Lighting Natural Rope 63010-2 Sconce - 12W in. - Aged Bronze - 63010-2
$202.00 | Hayneedle
Ultra Modern Sink in White Starlight by MaestroBath
maestrobath
United Weavers Blinds & Shades Dahlia Terracotta 5 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft. 6 in.
Home Depot
Leeds Pendelette by Kichler
$250.80 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™