Altering structure for smaller window?

alstAugust 18, 2010

We're "refreshing" our kitchen, reusing the cabinets but moving them around to open up the space a bit more.

The problem is, there is one window that extends lower down the wall than the others, and of course that wall is the one we want to move the cabinets to.

What is involved and how difficult is it to change the window opening to be shorter? The house is a 1952 brick ranch if that helps.



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Windows on Washington Ltd

On the internal side of things, studs and drywall is all you will need.

On the exterior, you best bet will to contract with a good brickmason and have that exterior opening re-sized.

You are not modifying structure so you do not need to do anything but stud the wall out to the height you want and drywall it over.

    Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 11:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks w.o.w.! One of my other concerns is the brick itself. Since the house is almost 60 years old, how difficult will it be to find new brick that will match the old?

Any ideas on what is might cost for something like this? I'm as green as they come :)

    Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 11:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Windows on Washington Ltd

I will defer to the brick mason on that one.

    Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 9:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

We undertook a similar project except we swapped a bedroom and kitchen. Originally, the bedroom was a lower narrower window and the kitchen had been over the sink and wider. When we swapped the rooms, the window openings were kept approximately the same size, just now on 2 different walls. We salvaged some brick from one opening, all old mortar was carefully chiseled off and then reused in the new location.

Depending on the brick on your house, it will most likely be tough to find an exact match. However, there are aging techniques that can be applied to new brick to improve the match. Find a historic brick mason - they should know what to do.

If you want to have custom brick made, the company to contact is Belden Brick. I've seen their work on 2 historic homes and the brick match is quite good. However, in both cases a larger quantity of brick was made. I believe they are the only company in the US that does historic brick matching.

Good luck.

    Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 5:10AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Love my New Front Door, But It's Still Cold in Entryway
I have my new steel entry door installed with new sidelites....
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
pulley and weight window stuck open
I cannot get it closed even though I basically hang...
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
Sponsored Products
American Made Rayne Timber Estate Floor Mirror
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Altered States Rock Star
Home Depot
Young Seated Buddha Garden Statue - OR-21-GS
$589.99 | Hayneedle
Elan Sava 40 1/4" Wide Dimmable LED White Island Light
Lamps Plus
Structure Aged Steel Two-Light Sconce
$280.00 | Bellacor
Free Standing Cabinets Racks & Shelves: Storage Concepts Garage Shelving
Home Depot
Tempered Glass and Brushed Stainless Steel Aiden Console Table
Zuri Furniture
Luceplan | Curl Table Lamp
$410.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™