pressure treated wood for garage door jamb?

ncountyApril 8, 2009

I need to replace my garage door and the door jamb which has termite rot. I am redoing the exterior of the house in stucco and putting in smooth metal doors to minimize maintenance and termite exposure. I am told they would use Douglas fir for the door jambs and I inquired about using pressure treated wood. Ideally, I would like it painted white.

I was told that pressure treated wood would not be aesthetically pleasing. My main concern on researching this is that it may be difficult to paint it white. Any thoughts on what material or wood type I should use? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

As long as the PT wood is dry---easily verified by simply picking up a piece of dry and a piece of wet---the difference is HUGE---use a shellac based primer(BIN or Bullseye 123 by Zinsser) and whatever paint you choose. Painted PT wood looks no different than painted Douglas fir. Actually, if you are having a professional do the framing, they should be able to get CCA treated wood---it is still available.

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 8:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncounty

thanks handymac....the install is next monday. I think they are going to try to use Azek which is even longer lasting.
Also, i won't have to paint it since it is already white.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 1:19AM
More Discussions
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
Finally mounted upper kitchen cabinet to sloped wall!
I finally got my cabinets installed. In particular,...
stripedbass
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™