Need Suggestions For Pub Bar Materials

Suzi AKA DesertDanceApril 29, 2013

First let me say, we love to entertain, and sports are always on TV if our teams are playing.

Our old "new" house has this (view it the moment you enter the front door) apparition built inside of another room, mainly for load bearing support. We decided to make it into a Pub/Media room.

Sorry for the bad photo. Crews have removed paneling and are going to build the wall to bar height to accommodate those who are outside, looking in.

Most bars have wooden bar tops. I've searched the web extensively to no avail.

This house is in county, not city, and local wood-workers are rare. Most are ranchers or farmers, and their days are full.

Any opinions on where to find a good wood-worker who can build a curved wooden bar top and finish it to reject spills? Should we go with a wood-look fake laminate? We could do granite, but it's so boring...........

All your ideas are welcome!

Thank You!

Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

You could easily cut a plywood curved top and cover it with pennies, then use the pourable "bartop" resins.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:15PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Wish I saved my pennies! I bet I could cover it with quarters! Sheesh!

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:55PM
aidan_m

or beer bottle caps, labels, broken bits of glass. You can get really creative with epoxy resins. Make sure you use the right material for the job. There are different resins for base coats and filling in the voids, and ones for the topcoats.

The top coat resins are designed to level out to make a uniform finish coating of about 1/8" thickness. This resin is tough, and designed to withstand heavy wear.

The filling resin is designed to perform over a much wider range of thickness, from a thin binder coat, to over an inch in thickness in a single pour. This resin is not tough enough for surface wear. It needs an overcoating of the finish resin.

A note about working with resins: Follow the instructions PRECISELY! If it says equal parts, use equal parts. I use disposable cups for this. If it says mix for 2 minutes, then pour it into a new container, use a new stir stick, then mix for another 2 minutes scraping the sides and bottom of the container... etc, etc.. You get the idea. Follow the instructions. Have many disposable containers, cups, and stir sticks. Use electricians tape to mask off the bottom edge, where drips will form.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™